Any recommedned keyboards?

Discussion of converting to Sibelius from Finale.
MillionViolins

Post by MillionViolins » Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:11 am

Hi! Whether we use Sibelius or Finale, I think using the regular computer keyboards comes with a cost. They were not designed for notation programs. I image someone must have invented a dedicated keyboards that will let you use the programs more efficiently.

Anyone heard of such a thing?

~Tim
~Tim

Sibelius 6 - Finale 2010
Windows Vista, 2G Ram

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:01 am

Not aware of any.

As you learn how to use Sibelius, you'll find that it does in fact make extremely good use of the standard computer keyboard, with plenty of already assigned shortcuts, the ability to programme others, plus the sheer ease of input using just letter names, the numeric keypad and just a few other keys.

MillionViolins

Post by MillionViolins » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:06 pm

Yes, Sibelius does utilize the keyboard efficiently, maybe more than Finale. Finale had some things pretty awkward. To change layers, for example, you have to press Ctrl, shift, number. To its credit, it has metatools and you came program almost everything. The problem is, before you learn how to use metatools, you're already stuck with the bad habits.

One thing I absolutely love about Sibelius is the way it enters slurs. So smoothly and easily. Or hairpins like crecs, etc. Converting from Finale, these things seem like a dream come true.

To be completely honest with myself though, Finale too is a powerful software and a number of important features are definitely superior.
~Tim

Sibelius 6 - Finale 2010
Windows Vista, 2G Ram