gradually open hi hat

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
parseval

Post by parseval » Thu Apr 24, 2014 9:02 am

hi,
I'd like to write percussion score... often I need to open gradually hi hat. is there a way to note, and, above all, to get it played?

tnx!!

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:03 pm

As you know, hi-hat in notated on the space above the staff with an "x" note head. Closed hi-hat is articulated with "+" sign above the note, and open hi-hat with a "o". Both are selectable from the keypad. Sibelius will play both of those. There is notation for a partially open hi-hat. It is the "o" with a vertical line through it. There is something that looks kind of like this in the symbol list, but I don't think it is the correct one. You can create one and save it in Sibelius, but there is no partially open hi-hat sound in Sibelius that I know of. You might be able to approximate something with volume or velocity changes, but that might not be close enough for you. It is not at all unusual to have two Sibelius scores. One to print out for live players, and one to get Sibelius to play as close as you can to what you want.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

parseval

Post by parseval » Thu Apr 24, 2014 7:44 pm

thanks!!