Going from Logic Pro X to Sibelius.

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
sus4

Post by sus4 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:09 am

I'm pretty sure I can send a midi file to Sibelius, but when Sibelius gets it will it come out as a score with all the instruments listed correctly? Will I have to do much to it?

Thanks.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:56 am

Maybe, maybe not. No way to know. It depends on how you set up the export. My experience trying to open midi from a DAW is mixed.Try an xml file also.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

sus4

Post by sus4 » Thu Dec 18, 2014 3:51 pm

I just tried XML and when I brought it into Sibelius it looked terrible. It would take too much time to make it look like the score it should be. Unless there is another way of doing this I'll just have to enter it into Sibelius the regular way, one instrument at a time.
Are there any other programs that could do this?
Thanks

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:51 pm

They'll all do the same things. The problem is not the notation app but the MIDI or XML file. For a start, unless it's been so hard quantized that it's mechanical, you'll get odd note values, ties and rests everywhere. A piano part may appear on just one staff instead of two. And so on.

Like Bob, my own experiences are mixed. Very simple files are OK sometimes, more complex stuff - forget it.

Sure, there are settings you can make on export and on import that will help, but with experience, you may well find that it's quicker to input from scratch rather than do tons of tidying up.