Installation problem (has anyone encountered this?)

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
grabaham
Sibelius Version: 8.0.0.66
Operating System: Windows

Post by grabaham » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:34 am

Hello all! The name, by random choice, is grabaham, and I'm running into an issue. Hopefully someone else has experienced this and can help!

After being a longtime Finale user, I decided to give Sibelius a try, so naturally I went for the demo of the latest version to try it out. However, I kept running into an issue every time I tried to install it. I would attempt to run the "Install_Sibelius.exe" file that then extracts the "Sibelius.msi" file, and it would always run into the same error:

"This installation package is not supported by this processor type. Contact your product vendor."

A further Google reveals that this usually happens when the installer is for 64-bit versus 32-bit. (My computer, for reference, is a Lenovo ThinkPad T400 running Windows 7 Professional SP1, 32-bit, 2.00 GB of RAM, and the processor is an Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU P8400 @ 2.26GHz.)

Anyone run into this problem, or know how to fix it?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:49 am

How do you fix this?

Buy a computer with a 64 bit operating system or upgrade the OS to Win10 (assuming everything else you use is Win 10 compatible.) Sib 8 is 64 bit only (Lucky you only went for the trial version! :) )

And even Sibelius 7 or 7.5 which are 32/64 bit, would not take kindly to only having 2GB of RAM. 4 is minimum and 8 or more recommended if you intend to use Sibelius's own sounds or third party libraries.

grabaham

Post by grabaham » Mon Aug 31, 2015 12:39 pm

andyg wrote:How do you fix this?

Buy a computer with a 64 bit operating system or upgrade the OS to Win10 (assuming everything else you use is Win 10 compatible.) Sib 8 is 64 bit only (Lucky you only went for the trial version! :) )
In the words of the current popular video game Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, "Well, sh*t."
And even Sibelius 7 or 7.5 which are 32/64 bit, would not take kindly to only having 2GB of RAM. 4 is minimum and 8 or more recommended if you intend to use Sibelius's own sounds or third party libraries.
Which leads me to a different question... is it possible to mount and run Sibelius 8 on an external hard drive? 1 TB should just about do it in terms of space, I'd wager.

andyg

Post by andyg » Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:27 pm

Sibelius would only take a very small part of an external 1TB drive, around 40GB or so, but installing in a separate drive can be problematical and I personally wouldn't think about it. And of course, that still assumes that you've changed the computer or the OS. And made sure you have enough RAM as well.

Sibelius also prefers to reside on a solid state drive (SSD). I have a 500GB SSD in this computer and a 250 SSD in the laptop, not too expensive if you look around. Makes Windows start in seconds and apps load up much faster. If you're using its own sounds, Sibelius 8 loads all the required sounds for a score right at the start. If it's a big score, that can take a while on a normal hard drive, which can be irritating.

grabaham

Post by grabaham » Mon Aug 31, 2015 6:10 pm

Well... Finale's good enough for me then, crappy instrument library be damned! :P Thanks for the help!

almound
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1

Post by almound » Fri Sep 25, 2015 12:19 am

I'm getting the same issue, Andy. Although I have a 64-bit quad AMD processor in this laptop, I choose to use Win7 Pro 32-bit to accommodate a DAW networking product called Audioport (by AudioImpressions). Sounds counter-intuitive, right?, but by running my DAWs in a network like this I can pool 130 GB for sample libraries. The trick is I use an internal MIDI cable (LoopBe30) which dumps Sibelius playback out onto a CopperLan virtual MIDI network. Presonus Studio One picks up on the MIDI being issued from Sibelius and pumps it to remote Audioport hosts that have Kontakt player running with the samples. Audioport then routes the audio back to my laptop's external sound card (with full stereo separation for each individual instrument of an entire symphony orchestra , I might add, so that VST processing in Studio One can do all sorts of tricks like stereo spatialization and instrument-by-instrument reverb sculpting).
Needless to say, I wouldn't like to lose this setup. Against hope, I thought I would at least ask ... has Avid any plans to issue a 32-bit version of Sibelius 8 maybe? Probably not. People are quite interested in my setup, however; it makes mincemeat out of ReWire.

Al
look for Novaclassica on Youtube
(I'd post a URL, but I'm still not allowed after 2 years)

andyg

Post by andyg » Fri Sep 25, 2015 7:17 pm

No, they won't ever release a 32 bit version. They can't even get the 64 bit version right! :D

There is no advantage in changing from 7 to 8 for almost all users, so I'm sticking with 6 and 7. And I don't care for their new subscription payments. I bought 6 and 7, they're mine to use 'forever', and I can get all the support I might need from the official Sibelius Forum, which I know you've been to, as I've read your threads there.

That's quite a setup you have. I prefer to simply port MIDI files from Sibelius - with no electronic humanization at all and then do all the rest of the work in Cubase. But, and it's a big but, I make sure that all the important parts are played in live. No electronic randomisation or humanisation will ever replace real brains, fingers and feet!

almound
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1

Post by almound » Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:46 pm

I agree live players are the way to go, but in lieu of that ... I wanted to develop a system that could give me a good idea how my music would be when it is played. I like to think that if I did it right, the methodology would help in the composing process. I've been pleased so far in that, as I write a score for electronic playback, the kinds of extras that I have to add in order to make it sound more real make some kind of musical sense ... articulations are what a live player might think are required to negotiate the part, dynamics are not out of whack, volume balance among the instruments is approximately correct, spatial separation in the stereo field is quite pronounced, and reverb is OK despite no mixing or mastering, etc. So far, so good.
Now on to the next stage at which mixing or mastering are incorporated as part of the playback. What I've implemented so far has been the ideas in Peter Alexander's Visual Orchestration #2; essentially establishing a sonic space in which to work through stereo spatialization and reverb, then calibrating each articulation of each instrument to the dynamic of piano within that space.
Next comes the ideas contained in Peter Alexander's Visual Orchestration #3; essentially refining the sonic space already established through various customized reverb settings and filters, mixing practices, and mastering concepts.
Should only take another couple years (Shheeeeshhh!). What I won't do for art.