Need To Set Up Short, Separate Pieces Within A Score....

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Rodan
Sibelius Version: 7.13
Operating System: Mac

Post by Rodan » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:54 pm

Hello,

I frequently need to set up short, separate pieces within a score. Currently, I'm creating musical cues for an awards ceremony. The music consists of short, repeatable loops (8 - 16 bars in length) for play-ons and play-offs. Each piece is titled and numbered separately, so that I can quickly cue the musicians to play the correct piece as each award is announced. And, since each piece is a separate loop, there will be repeat signs at the beginning and end of each loop.

Of course, each piece needs its own key signature and time signature. I'm trying to have each piece exist as a standalone song, so I don't want to have cautionary time and key signatures at the end of the preceding piece, or preceding the following piece. I've played with the "allow/don't allow cautionary" settings, but am not getting the results I want.

Is there an easy way to do this, or a work-around? Again, I want the have each piece be its own separate entity, without being affected by the previous piece's key and time signatures, and not affecting the following piece's key and time signatures.

Your assistance is much appreciated!

jongtr
Sibelius Version: first
Operating System: Windows

Post by jongtr » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:47 am

Can you explain how you're not getting the results you want?

For the time sig, you need to go to More Options... and uncheck the default "allow cautionary". If you do that, does the cautionary still appear?
For the key sig, it's a little different: you need to go to More Options... and check "Hide" in the "more options" table. That doesn't hide the key sig in the next line, but stops it appearing on the previous line or bar. Does that not work either?

(I'm working from Sibelius First, btw)

adamwhitemusic
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by adamwhitemusic » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:36 pm

I do this all the time, since I write musicals and each "number" is it's own short entity.

1. When you get to your ending of one piece, create a new bar that will be the start of your next piece. Click on the barline between the two pieces, then go to Layout, and then under breaks, click System Break (or Page Break if you want a new page, I believe page break splits the page in the score, and does a system break in the parts), and then I also click "Split System" so that it appears correctly in Panorama view as a separate piece.
2. Without your final bar of the first piece selected, go to Notations -> Common -> Key Signature -> More Options. Select your Key signature and check the box that says "Hide". Your key sig will now appear hidden and attached to a double bar that is at the end of your first piece, and a fresh new, visible key signature will appear at the start of your new piece.
3. Without anything selected, go to Notations -> Common -> Time Signatures -> More Options. Select your time signature and uncheck the box that says "Allow Cautionary". This next part is a little tricky because it sometimes behaves weirdly, but you have to now click that time signature approximately on your first note/rest of your new piece, because if you try to put it where it will appear or on the final barline of the previous, it can sometime jump back a bar for some unknown reason. Once you get it though, it will appear as a new time signature with no cautionary time sig attached to the previous piece.
4. NOW go and click your final bar and change the barline type to Final, because doing it any earlier will likely just change it to a double bar and you'll have to re-do it again anyways.
5. At this point, in page view, you can add a title/subtitle/composer to the FIRST NOTE of your new piece. Clicking where you might normally just click to add a title can do some very weird things to the parts, since the parts will likely not have the same number of measures in the first system, and sometimes the title can become attached to what would be the center of the first line of the score, but not the parts. This means that your title might be attached to the third line of your part, which will usually put it colliding with all your notes and whatnot in the first two lines. This often takes some finagling to make parts look right, as they often collide into other staves, but it's easy to fix and only takes a few seconds for each part. Note that this usually isn't a problem if you just make every new piece a page break in the parts too, but it can waste a lot of paper if you have a lot of them.

Hope this helps!