Strange things are happenings to me

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
jodiew1171

Post by jodiew1171 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:07 am

Hi, I'm a Finale user of 15 years and am trying to learn how to use Sibelius for my school. I am also a composer so I thought I would do a new piece using the software. So far, some things are great but strange things are happening and I have no control.. and I'm only 28 bars in!

1. Please, can anyone tell me WHY once I get to bar 29 I can no longer cut and paste into the score itself? It pastes the material into a new system. I am not doing anything different, it just seems that when I reach that bar, it goes haywire. I have tried deleting the bar, deleting it and all the bars to the end then adding new ones but nothing works. Help?

2. Suddenly the Staff name for Cornet 1/2 has placed itself in the middle of the score. Random and totally annoying. Any ideas?

3. The magnetic layout is fantastic, but it seems to be focused on each individual page. This makes for a very messy looking score. Any clues on how to create a uniform page format that recognises the magnetic changes made on one "stencil" page???

I find many things about Sibelius fantastic, but all of this on day 1 of trying to use it for real is a bit of a turn-off..

Your help would be sincerely appreciated.

Kind regards,

Jodie

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:28 am

None of this is normal behaviour for Sibelius!

So it's something to do with your set-up, the score you're working on, or what you're doing.

Firstly, operating system. If it's Mac OS 10.6.7, you've had it! You'll need to roll back to 10.6.6.

Secondly, was the score started from scratch, or was it imported/converted in some way?

Thirdly, how are YOU getting on with Sibelius? Convertees from Finale often try to use it the same way as their old program. I'm not saying you're guilty of this, but it happens a lot and results can be weird!

As for overall format and look, get everything input first, checking the appearance as you go but not worrying about things until the end. Then you'll be able to get the look you want.

Andy

jodiew1171

Post by jodiew1171 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 8:35 am

Thanks I should have been more specific about my computer. It's a PC and I'm still on Windows XP. Score was started from scratch and all information was put in fresh using computer keyboard entry. Haven't tried to do anything fancy just yet, just inputing notes and learning the basics of slurs, articulation, dynamics etc.. The score is large, it's for wind orchestra. Would that make a difference? Or could there be a gliche in my program? I've recently downloaded an ungrade and installed it - could this has affected the program??

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks xx

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:35 pm

The behaviour sounds very odd, then. You should be using the latest update to Sibelius, version 6.2. If not, then download and install.

The size of the score should not produce any glitches, though massive scores will slow things down.

When teaching Sibelius, I get my students to start with small, but not necessarily simple, scores, getting used to everything as they do. What happens if you try this?

You could also ask over at the official Sibelius forum, and post the score to see if others can replicate the problems you're having.