Website for downloading Sibelius scores?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:32 am

Does anyone know a website for downloading Sibelius scores (free, from well known compositors)?
Something like ultimate-guitar but with sib files instead of PowerTab, GuitarPro or TabPro files.
Sibelius 7/ PC / 4Gb RAM / Windows 7 Ultimate.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:15 pm

There really isn't much of anyplace for free sib scores. Especially if you are looking for a Beethoven symphony. My guess is that transcribing something like that is a lot of work, and no one wants to give away that kind of effort. And everything by more modern composers is going to be copyrighted.
However, Sibelius' own Score Exchange has sib files That Sibelius users post, some of which are free.
Your other bet might be "imslp". Which deals in Public Domain scores. Most of those will be PDFs. I think I've seen some Finale scores so there might be some sibs.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:06 pm

Yeah that was what I was thinking, my other option is downloading MID files and then opening them with Sibelius
Sibelius 7/ PC / 4Gb RAM / Windows 7 Ultimate.

gefilte79
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Windows

Post by gefilte79 » Wed Jan 10, 2024 6:19 pm

tpgettys has some beautiful midi scores of viol and recorder music free to download on his site. Right click and use Open With; then specify Sibelius. It does work; I've done it often and (not always but usually) had beautiful results. imslp offers a huge number of free pdf files of (mostly early music) scores and, comparatively seldom but sometimes, .sib ones too. Certain contributors of theirs have obviously used Sibelius for a while and, once you know of a contributor who has, the site can be searched for other files of theirs by searching under that person's name. To search for them, they only have to be a person mentioned on the site; they don't have to be a composer. But you can't search specifically for all of the site's .sib files, unfortunately.
I have been using Sibelius for many years and have lots of (mostly early music) scores which I've created and would be happy to give away. But I don't know how to give them away - and to avoid legal technicalities concerned with them not being mine in some way or other. As has already been noticed in the Forum, there seems to be no site for doing this sort of giving and taking. It's a terrible shame because there must, after all the years that Sibelius has existed, be a huge number of old people like myself who have piles of Sibelius files which they have laboriously created over the years and which they'd be happy to give away free to whoever wants to have them. We all know that we can't take them with us and that they took hours and hours to create and that often they do work very well. If there's anything of the baroque chamber music sort which you would like to have a .sib file of, let me know, with your email address, and I'll try to give you it as an email attachment. I use Sibelius 6. It's not the latest version but it works for me - mostly.
davidbateman191@virginmedia.com