Unable to upgrade from 7.1.3 to 7.5

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Mon Oct 27, 2014 11:20 pm

I bought a new iMac Retina. I am installing things from scratch. I have 7.1.3 running on an iMac (2010) and on a Dual Quad (2008). I would like to upgrade from Sibelius 7.1.3 (been using Sibelius since Sibelius 2) to Sibelius 7.5 and install it on the new iMac Retina.

Before downloading anything to the iMac Retina, I tried to upgrade to 7.5 on my old iMac. I entered my serial number to check for eligibility and I'm told I'm ineligible to upgrade. I called Sibelius several times, went through all the options. There is no way to talk to a person? I know that I can only have 2 computers at one time registered and I'm afraid to unregister Sibelius 7.1.3 on my old iMac fearing I won't be able to reregister it on the old machine if necessary given how difficult the registration process is.

Not sure what to do at this point. If I'm ineligible for an upgrade from 7.1.3 to 7.5 (which would seem odd), I'd at least like to be able to install 7.1.3 on my new Retina. Suggestions on what may be the problem with upgrading? Should I download 7.5 on the new Retina and provide my original license for Sibelius 2? I don't have the discs for Sibelius since Sibelius 6 as I've opted for server downloads. I have an activation code for installing Sibelius 7 on the iMac 2010 along with the original serial number from Sibelius 2 that I've been using for each upgrade over the years.

Thanks,
-K

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 12:02 am

Hi, I think it's worth trying your Sibelius 2 code. I managed to install 7.5 over my 7.1 installation using my Sibelius 6 "serial no" (SCEP...) after many frustrating hours downloading and trying the different licences/serial nos and activation codes I had. Doesn't help that the instructions are poorly written and unprofessionally presented, but the process seems to have remembered the first installation I upgraded from, so hopefully this will also work in your case.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 3:27 am

When I check for upgrade eligibility from 7.1.3 via the sibelius.com website, it asks for my license. I gave it my Sib 2 license that I've used to upgrade through Sib 3 thru 7 over the years. The website says i'm not eligible. If they don't want my money or want me to upgrade, then I may have to look for an alternative scoring program. But, are you saying to download 7.5 on my old iMac with 7.1.3 installed, then run it, then enter my Sib 2 license when it asks me for it? Or are you suggesting a different process?

Thanks for the feedback. Helpful!
-K

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Tue Oct 28, 2014 6:27 am

Ok, I thought you already had paid for the upgrade, but if you haven't that's presumably why you're "ineligible". I guess you'll have to pay before qualifying for the upgrade. You'll be asked for a 'Serial number' at various stages, so this may be your Sibelius 2 licence code, though I'm no expert. It was all a bit and miss for me, but got there in the end.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:03 am

Okay - so it is confusing. I go to the website, select upgrades and there is a list of options for upgrading from various versions of Sibelius or cross-grade (from Finale etc). You can click a link to see if you are eligible for an upgrade. I thought I would do that in order to determine the upgrade fee from 7.1.3. The only other options I see are: 1) buy the 7.5 full version at retail price or 2) download a trial of 7.5.

Now I wonder if I have to install 7.1.3 first, then go through the upgrade process.

Seriously, a PITA thus far.

K

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Oct 28, 2014 5:56 pm

Sorry this has dragged on so long. Some months ago I did what you are trying to do now. It was not a straight forward process.
As of Sibelius 7.0, your old serial number is no good.
I found the correct download page by first going to the Sib 7.5 page then selecting the Upgrade FAQ on the right. Then there is a link for Upgrade. In the pull down menu, you will select upgrade from 7. If I remember correctly, when you try to by it, you will be asked to verify your existing Sibelius.
When you enter the code you got with 7, you may need to try a few different formats. I had to jump through a number of hoops , so I don't remember what finally worked. Try the code with and without dashes, and/or caps. And make sure it is all correct. I think I had two letters switched. When you finally get it to work, there is the 7.5 exe and a 7.5 sound updater. Because the download is an update, Avid assumes you already have 7.1.3 installed, so I guess you should do that first on the new computer. I own 7.0 on DVDs and 7.1.3 as a downloaded exe. So my order of installation was:
1. Install 7.1.3 exe.
B. Install 7.0 sounds from all four DVDs. I don't remember is there is a 7.0 sound update.
3. Get Sibelius activated, and running.
D. install 7.5. Somewhere in here I deactivated 7.1.3 to get 7.5 to activate. I've never reactivated it because I don't need it.
5. Install sound update.
F. If you go to Sibelius knowledge base and type bass clarinet in the search box, there is a bass clarinet patch that you will need to get correct playback.

Good luck
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 7:59 pm

Thanks, I'll give this a try today. As I installed Sib 7 via download, I wonder if I'll be able to do that on the new iMac Retina, or if I will have to go all the way back to one of my DVDs and start the process there. Damn, what a mess.

kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:23 pm

Well, I copied Sibelius 7.1.3 from my old iMac to my new iMac into the /Applications folder. I then launched Sibelius. "Problem with file permissions". The only option is to dismiss the alert box. Now what? F(@*#&($*&*