How to move Sibelius 7.1.3 to a new computer?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 8:28 pm

Okay - I've given up on upgrading from 7.1.3 to 7.5, at this point, all I'm trying to do is move Sibelius 7.1.3 from my old iMac to my new iMac running Yosemite 10.10. Is there a document explicitly indicating the steps taken to do this? I downloaded Sib 7 from Sibelius.com (don't have the DVDs). On my old iMac, I have Sib 6 and Sbi 7 installed. I'd like to move Sib 7.1.3 to the new iMac. Then if that is successful, I'd like to try upgrading again to 7.5.

kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:23 pm

Okay - I once again copied Sibelius 7.app from my old iMac to the new iMac Retina. There was a permission problem (ownership was me instead of root). So I chowned (using command line) the ownership on the new iMac Retina. The permissions were now identical to Sibelius 7 running on my old iMac. When I launch Sibelius 7.1.3 on my new iMac Retina, I'm still getting an permissions problem. So, now the question is, how do I install 7.1.3? I can't find the 7.0 archive on the Sibelius site that I paid for (and chose the option for downloading from the server instead of DVDs). I will try to hunt down the possible archive I downloaded a couple of years ago, but I don't expect to find it.

kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 9:42 pm

I found a slew of .dmg Sibelius installs in my Downloads folder on my old iMac. I wonder if any of these will install given that they look like mostly just updaters.
Attachments
sibeliusFiles.png
sibeliusFiles.png (97.33 KiB) Viewed 10901 times

kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:14 pm

I ended up downloading the 7.5 trial, but instead of launching 7.5, I launched 7.1.3 and lo and behold, the permission problems disappeared. I was presented with a panel asking me to ACTIVATE. When I clicked on Activate, the panel showed 7.5 for activation, not 7.1.3

So, at this point, since I've paid Sibelius many, many hundreds of dollars over the last many years, is there someone I can talk to to walk me through the process of "simply" moving Sibelius, a product I've licensed, to my new computer? Is there anyone on the Sibelius team or Avid team reading these posts? Can someone please guide me?

Thanks,
K

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:40 pm

You don't 'move' it. Or rather, I wouldn't try. Sibelius may well see this as trying to clone it, unauthorised, onto another computer.

1) Unregister it on the first computer
2) install it afresh on the new computer - either from the DVD you bought or from the download - that download will still be available to you if you've somehow lost it.
3) register it once it's installed
4) copy your scores etc across to the new computer

You can have two active registrations. Whether or not you've now messed things up by bringing 7.5 into the mix I couldn't say, but you may end up having to talk/email Avid support. It's free for registration/activation issues.

kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Tue Oct 28, 2014 10:54 pm

Yeah, I unregistered it on one of my computers before trying to activate it on my new iMac Retina. I have looked on Sibelius.com for a fresh 7.0 install, but I can't find it. I deleted my 7.5, but I'm sure there are remnants on the system, including perhaps the registration app that Avid uses. I think I have to resort to contacting Avid via email. Thanks, -K

kpcpro

Post by kpcpro » Wed Oct 29, 2014 9:50 pm

I can report that I now have Sibelius 7.5.1 running on a brand new iMac Retina after coming to my wits end trying to move 7.1.3 from an older iMac to the new iMac Retina. Even after downloading 7.0.x from my Avid account and trying to start from that point on, I kept getting activation failures as noted in my previous posts.

I eventually was able to talk to customer support via this US number: 1-650-731-6106

The person I spoke with understood that I really wanted to get 7.5 (buy the upgrade) installed on my new iMac Retina. She made the process absolutely painless. Within 10 minutes, she had sent me a link to upgrade from 7.1.3 to 7.5.1. After downloading and installing, I used the activation key and the system ID displayed in my Avid account to register 7.5. However, I did need to first enter my very original serial number that I got with Sibelius 2.

It was really nice to be able to talk to someone and solve the problem. And I reiterate, the service was excellent!

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Oct 29, 2014 11:50 pm

Good to hear that it's all sorted out. And also that Avid's service was good. They get a lot of bad press so it makes a change to hear that they've done their job well.