Can't open Sibelius 7 in Windows 8 (there's startup only)

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
K8D

Post by K8D » Tue Nov 25, 2014 6:28 pm

Hello.

I have a laptop with Windows 8 system and Sibelius 7 installed. For several days I've got a problem with starting the program and opening any files. When I double-click the program icon, initially everything's okay: there is a startup animation and music, but... that's all. In the left bottom corner of startup animation there's an information: "Initializing playback system" or something like this; everything seems to be loaded, but when the startup disappears, the actual program window ("Quick Start") does not appear. NOTHING HAPPENS.
My task manager shows that Sibelius process is still active. I try to end the process using Task manager and restart the program, but the situation is the same again. Even if I restart the computer. I tried to find a solution on the Web, but there was no helpful idea for me. And I would like to add that the software had worked perfectly before.
My husband has installed some Windows updates recently; do you think that's the cause of my problem?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Nov 25, 2014 10:27 pm

Almost certainly something that has been added or updated has caused the issue. Very hard to say what! Possibly the updates now require driver updates for parts of your system, such as audio.

You should try asking this question on the official Sibelius forum. Be prepared to provide more details on what changes have been made to the system recently.

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:30 pm

If you know how to use Event Viewer, it can be a great help. In my experience, if an update has caused a problem, there is quite often some other problem with your computer, and Sibelius has fallen victim to it.
And as Andy says, make sure you have the latest audio drivers, because "Initializing playback system" is not the last thing you should see before the program opens. There are at least three other things after that. "Windows initialization complete" is the last.
And sometimes a complete shut down is better than a restart.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

K8D

Post by K8D » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:34 am

Thank you for all the responses. Well, I've found something... In Task manager, I noticed that my laptop runs at 100% disk usage, especially when I use Sibelius. After reading something about this, I changed some system settings. It worked. However, my Sib is still starting very slowly and the main window opens after some minutes... but at last I can work!

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Dec 04, 2014 12:19 am

What antivirus are you using? Do you run the paid version of Malwarebytes? Both can have an effect, especially if they are some of the things that got updated.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop