Sibelius 7.5/7.5.1 PC - sound drops out/silent playback

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
EighthSymphony

Post by EighthSymphony » Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:52 pm

I'm having a very odd problem when playing back a score (guitar - single staff). Near the end (around bar 100), when playing the piece, the sound simply drops out. The green position bar continues, and the metronome is heard, but the notes don't play back.

I was using 7.5, and so I saw there was an upgrade to 7.5.1, which I have installed, but the problem persists.

If I start a new score and copy all the notes, the same thing happens.

If I start a new score and copy only the bar prior to the silence and the first bar of silence they play back correctly.

If I go to the bar where the silence starts and blank it out and add new notes they won't play back, and the silence then moves back to begin 15 bars earlier.

If I go to the bar prior to the silence, then add in a bunch of bars, then copy the notes from the silent bar, they play back ok, until play back reaches the bar I copied from, where it drops out again.

This is very frustrating. Any ideas of how to resolve this or what is going on?

Thanks.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:27 pm

Is this part of a repeat structure, or was there a repeat or coda or something that you thought you deleted.

Better yet, is there some word in the score in that area? I mean some kind of text you added as an instruction to the player. If you used the wrong text method Sibelius might try to interpret it. If it can't, sometimes Sibelius gives up and won't play any more.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

EighthSymphony

Post by EighthSymphony » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:03 pm

No, there is no repeats and no text. It's totally weird, and as I try and fix it it keeps moving around (bazck to previous bars that were fine before). So for now, because I want to hear the playback, I have a bunch of extra bars at the end of the piece.

EighthSymphony

Post by EighthSymphony » Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:44 am

This is all too weird. So I have finished entering the score, and it's 93 bars long. There are an extra 20 bars of copied notes after bar 93.

The score plays fine right up to the end of bar 93 (and beyond that to the middle of bar 107, 7 bars from the last bar.

If I delete bars 94-123, then the notes won't play starting at bar 79. If I undo the operation, then it goes back to bar 107. If I save the score and restart Sibelius, it still does exactly the same thing.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Jan 31, 2015 3:34 pm

Please provide your computer specs.

I think there was a Sounds update with 7.5.1. Make sure you have that also.

It is possible that Sibelius needs to rebuild two playback files. To do this ( for Windows Vista through 8.1) you must check "Show hidden files, folders..." in folder options. Then navigate to C: (or where you have Sibelius installed)/Users/(name of your computer)/AppData/Roaming/Avid/Sibelius7. Then delete the PlogueEngine folder and PlaybackConfig.xml.
On a Mac, you'll need to search for those folders. I think they are in the System Library.
Bob Porter

EighthSymphony

Post by EighthSymphony » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:40 pm

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the help. I am running 7.5.1 on Windows 8.1. I tried your suggestion (the last folder name was Sibelius7.5) but it didn't correct the issue.

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:17 am

Well, unless you need to try a different driver ( from Sibelius Audio Engine Options) the only thing I can think of is something in the score. Do you have some kind of cloud storage you could put the sib file in and share with me?
Bob Porter

EighthSymphony

Post by EighthSymphony » Mon Feb 02, 2015 1:03 pm

Hi Bob,

After being unsuccessful at fixing this issue, I tried a few more things yesterday, such as adding in extra blank bars between the end of the piece and where the playback dropped out. I then deleted all the notes from the extra section at the end, then started deleting the extra blank bars little by litte. Eventually I was able to remove all of the extra bars while being able to keep the playback all the way to the end.

So, for now, things are just as they should be. Perhaps deleing the folder and file has something to do with resolving this, although I'm not quite sure how as I tried fixing it a couple of different ways without success.

Thanks for your help. :)

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Feb 02, 2015 3:32 pm

Glad you figured out something. Doesn't make much sense. After deleting the files, you would need to restart Sibelius so it could rebuild them. Sorry you had to go through so much weird stuff. Gotta love technology.
Bob Porter

EighthSymphony

Post by EighthSymphony » Tue Feb 03, 2015 4:07 pm

yes, I restarted sibelius and watched the file and folder be recreated. I also tried rebooting, and editing the non-playback bars a couple of times, but without luck. I have no idea why things suddenly started working properly.

I should mention I have a laptop (win 8.1, sibelius 7.5.1) and a desktop (win 7, sibelius 7.5) and both had the same problem with the score.

As far as I can tell it was just a weird glitch with the software. If you are really interested I could send you a copy of the score before it was working correctly.

At any rate, thanks again for your help.

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:03 pm

One last thing. There is a bass clarinet patch available from where you downloaded the 7.5.1 sounds update. This seems to fix a lot of playback problems.
Bob Porter

EighthSymphony

Post by EighthSymphony » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:37 pm

You know, I never did download any 7.5.1 sound files. This problem started with 7.5 and remained after the upgrade. I am a guitarist, and generally only use the guitar sounds.

bobp

Post by bobp » Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:19 pm

Yes, get all the sound file updates. They are not just sounds.
Bob Porter

EighthSymphony

Post by EighthSymphony » Thu Feb 05, 2015 5:37 pm

bobp wrote:Yes, get all the sound file updates. They are not just sounds.
what else are they?

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Feb 06, 2015 4:07 pm

I think they are also various bug fixes. Avid doesn't go into any more detail. As you know, everything in software seems to be connected to everything else within the software. So you really need All updates and patches even though you only use one part.
Bob Porter