Using Sibelius with Ableton Live?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:55 pm

[PC/Sibelius 7.5/Ableton Live Suite 9]

Hi, I downloaded Ableton Live 9 some weeks ago, now I'm learning how to use it. It came to my mind if it was possible to connect Sibelius with Ableton in some way; I heard of something called ReWire (not sure what's that for).

I'd like to know if there was a way to export Sibelius files (maybe in MIDI) to Ableton, since I downloaded a pack of Orchestral Strings and other wind instruments, as a way to enhance the sound. The other way would be to install Sibelius Sounds but that's not working.
Sibelius 7/ PC / 4Gb RAM / Windows 7 Ultimate.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:09 pm

File>Export>MIDI

That will give you a file you can import into Ableton. Then you can assign tracks to those newly downloaded sounds.

It would be even better if you could print out the Sibelius score and play at least some parts live into Ableton - the difference between real and robot player is noticeable.

lacatedral

Post by lacatedral » Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:32 pm

andyg wrote:File>Export>MIDI

That will give you a file you can import into Ableton. Then you can assign tracks to those newly downloaded sounds.

It would be even better if you could print out the Sibelius score and play at least some parts live into Ableton - the difference between real and robot player is noticeable.
Thanks Andy, I'm trying that. By the way I'm not planning to play live with Ableton right now, I was just wondering if I could send some orchestral pieces and string quartets made in Sibelius to Ableton and then export the whole thing with nicer sounds.
Sibelius 7/ PC / 4Gb RAM / Windows 7 Ultimate.