Append score without page break

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
lasocki
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Windows

Post by lasocki » Thu Nov 12, 2015 3:32 pm

I am making an edition from many individual movements of varying length. Some are a page in length, others one and a half pages, others less than a page. "Append score" automatically puts in a page break between files. Does anyone know how I can combine my files without a page break, so I can get the movements closer together? Many thanks, David

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Nov 12, 2015 7:10 pm

You can remove the page break with Ctrl + Enter on the last bar line of the 'appended to' score. An extra step I know, but there you are.

Or you could append the lot, select all and unlock format. The former might be the less brutal approach.

Don't know if there's an option to not put in breaks in the first place, couldn't see one.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

lasocki

Post by lasocki » Thu Nov 12, 2015 8:59 pm

Thanks very much for your reply.

1. When I do Ctrl + Enter on the last barline of the "appended to " score, I get the comment "Please select a single barline." I'm using Sibelius 6, but I also have access to Sibelius 7.5 if necessary. Which version were you thinking of?

2. "Unlock format" (Ctrl + Shift + U) doesn't work, because it joins all the movements together seamlessly, removing the musical breaks between the movements.

Best wishes, David

KJ_Palmer

Post by KJ_Palmer » Fri Nov 13, 2015 7:01 pm

I'm using 7.5, but this should work the same in 6 as well. Try zooming in (to over 100%) - it can be a bit hit or miss to select the actual bar line instead of a nearby object at a 'normal' viewing size. You do have to make sure that only the bar line is selected (in 7.5 select turns it purple, can't remember what colour with 6), and not any notes etc.

With unlock format you could add a line break with Enter at the first bar of each movement, but it is indeed a bit messy and you would lose any formatting you might want to keep.

lasocki

Post by lasocki » Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:47 pm

Unfortunately, neither of your suggestions worked. I was selecting only a barline (which turns purple) when Sibelius asked me to "Select a single barline," and I confirmed that at 200%. When I Enter at the beginning of the first bar of an appended file, Sibelius asks me to "Select a note or chord." Do you have any other suggestions? Many thanks, David

KJ_Palmer

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:40 pm

Sorry it didn't work David, this seems to work in Sib 7.5. I've appended a few scores together and CTRL/Enter removes the page break. Maybe try 7.5 instead then, I've decommissioned my Sib 6 now. I could take a look at your score if you want to email me it, difficult to tell otherwise. Perhaps someone else will chip in.

Or there's the official Sibelius Help Centre at http://www.sibelius.com, with far more knowledgeable technical people. Always worth a try.

lasocki

Post by lasocki » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:06 pm

Many thanks for your kind offer to look at my score, which I would like to take you up on. Please send your email address to me at david@instantharmony.net

I do have access to 7.5, but only through a university in such a way that you don't own the program, only connect with it when you need to. I found some features of the program worse than 6, which is also why I have stuck with it.

Best wishes, David

KJ_Palmer

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:15 pm

Hi David,

I've sent you my email address, and re-installed Sibelius 6 on another machine.

Hopefully I'll get back to you soon,

Regards
Kevin

lasocki

Post by lasocki » Sat Nov 14, 2015 11:52 pm

So very kind of you. I've sent you the file by email now.

KJ_Palmer

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 12:51 am

My pleasure. I haven't received the score yet. Just to confirm my email address is kj_palmer@btinternet.com.

lasocki

Post by lasocki » Sun Nov 15, 2015 1:30 am

I have just sent it again from my private address and also now from my university address. Many thanks, David

KJ_Palmer

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:02 am

Hi, ok thanks, I've seen it now.

The page breaks can be removed simply by selecting and deleting the Page Break graphic between movements or pieces. That's the blue rectangle with a little triangle in the corner. Either the one at the end of the previous movement or the one at the beginning of the next can be deleted, they're the same object to Sibelius.

Unlock format would work too, though you have to select the whole score (CTRL + A) first.

The formatting seems to be retained, though I'd be tempted to drag some of the first lines down to space the movements out a little. Optimise staff spacing might also be an idea to tidy things up more.

I confirm that Ctrl + Enter doesn't work on your score as it does on my own scores. This seems to be because you have Layout Marks ticked under the View Menu, which I don't usually have. It's a lesson for me too - never assume that settings are the same for everyone...

Anyway, hope that helps and good luck!

lasocki

Post by lasocki » Sun Nov 15, 2015 6:37 am

Sorry, but I'm experiencing the same problems. When I delete the page breaks, the second score moves back to join seamlessly with the first one, eliminating the division into two movements. And neither Ctrl-Enter nor Layout--Break--System Break or Page Break works to create the division again. And whether I have the layout marks ticked or not, the effect is the same on the score. Unlock format doesn't work, as I mentioned before.

Did you try opening the score in 7.5? I wonder whether "converting" it to 7.5 format would work.

Many thanks, David

KJ_Palmer

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:58 am

Ok, I can see the problem, you've got extra barlines between movements above the staves. I'll have a look at later, unless someone else can look.

lasocki

Post by lasocki » Sun Nov 15, 2015 3:49 pm

Yes, I see the extra barlines above the stave at the end of each movement. But deleting them doesn't have any effect on any of the solutions you have mentioned....