Microsoft Surface with Sibelius 6

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
asalmond
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Windows

Post by asalmond » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:02 am

I am currently using Sibelius version 6 with a Sony Vaio laptop with Windows Vista which must be around 8 years old. I use Sibelius purely for notational purposes and am not a heavy user although over the years I have built up a considerable library of arrangements.

I am considering buying a Microsoft Surface (not the Pro) and my questions are;

1) Will my current version of Sibelius 6 work with the Microsoft surface?

2) Given that the Surface has no disc drive, how do I transfer my right to continue using Sibelius 6 as it is a single user license?

(When transferring to new computers previously, I have been able to get the necessary coding to complete the transfer).

Alistair

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Jan 24, 2016 2:55 pm

The downside of a Surface is that it's a tablet. A tablet won't run full version software. The Pro is a full computer in tablet format, and will run Sibelius.

In any event, if you login to your Avid account you should be able to download Sibelius 6.
Good luck.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

asalmond
Sibelius Version: 6

Post by asalmond » Mon Jan 25, 2016 8:08 am

Thank you for replying.
When you say that the surface is unable to run full version software, are you referring to more advanced uses. I use Sibelius to input arrangements and print out with parts. Will it be able to do that?
Alistair

Rob M.
Sibelius Version: 2021.9

Post by Rob M. » Mon Jun 20, 2016 8:50 pm

The downside of a Surface is that it's a tablet. A tablet won't run full version software. The Pro is a full computer in tablet format, and will run Sibelius.
Hi, Bob --
I think your statement would be quite accurate if you're referring to the original Surface, which ran Windows RT on an ARM processor. Sibelius definitely wouldn't run on that.

But what about the Surface 3 that was released last year? It runs Windows 8.1/10 and meets the stated system requirements for Sibelius 8.x. Sure, it has a smaller screen (10.8") than the Surface Pro 3, a slightly more capable processor (a quad-core Intel Atom running at 1.6-2.4GHz), and somewhat less system memory (4GB in the more expensive Surface 3). And yes, the Surface 3 can use the Surface Pen, even if it's not included in the price of a Surface 3. The only problem I can see is that the Type Cover keyboard for the Surface 3 does not have a separate number pad, which would slow down those users who use the number pad for notation entry.

Has anyone out there tried any version of Sibelius on a Surface 3 -- with or without the Surface Pen? Having recently bought a Surface 3, I'm considering putting my second copy of Sib 8 on it.

And Avid seems not to have noticed that the Surface Pro 3 has been discontinued. So other users may be wondering if the Surface 3 can stand in for the now-unavailable Surface Pro 3.
Cheers...
Rob M.
------------
Sibelius user since Aug '08 (v5.x)
Now running Sibelius Ultimate 2021.2 on Win 10 Home x64 v21H1
AMD A10-5800K 3.8GHz APU on a Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-UP4 mobo; 8GB RAM; 2TB HDD

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Jun 22, 2016 4:21 am

Sure, Rob. No reason not to try it. Let us know how it works.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop