Copying and pasting between versions

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
CelticBorealis
Sibelius Version: First
Operating System: Windows

Post by CelticBorealis » Thu Feb 25, 2016 6:49 pm

Hi everyone,

I've encountered a problem. I had the free trial of Sibelius 7.5 (on Windows 7), which has since expired. This means I can't save scores. However, the other day I needed to produce a score to send to a friend for a university project. I did this by taking screenshots of the score and sending them as PDFs. This was two days ago, and I've not shutdown my computer since. I've since added to the score.

My paycheck came through today and I've now purchased Sibelius First (can't afford the full version at the moment and I am 100% against subscription software). I had hoped I could just copy and paste between the versions. As it turns out, you can't. To make matters worse, every time I try and copy something in my expired 7.5 version it goes into 'not responding' mode. I'm now worried it's going to crash at any point.

Does anyone know of a method to copy and paste between these versions? If there isn't one, I'm going to have to manually copy the score out, which will take me hours. I ordinarily use Sibelius at university. I'm aware that I've not done things in a sensible fashion, but I just needed to do this task before I had the money to buy my own copy.

If anyone has any ideas I would be immensely grateful!

CB.

CelticBorealis

Post by CelticBorealis » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:22 pm

Well, I've started manually copying out the score. It's tedious, but going quicker than expected. However, Sibelius First is crashing all the time (and it takes ages to close and reopen again). I'm hoping this is just because I've got two versions of Sibelius open simultaneously rather than something I'm going to have to put up with for the rest of time...

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:47 pm

Could you try exporting as xml and importing back as xml? Or maybe even exporting as Sibelius First? If so (sorry, I don't know what options you have available) you'd lose some formatting but the basic music information should be intact.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

CelticBorealis

Post by CelticBorealis » Thu Feb 25, 2016 10:58 pm

This works! Thank you very much for this suggestion! Curiously, you can't save after the trial period, but you can export scores as PDFs or xml. Thank you again!

This will save a lot of time!

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Fri Feb 26, 2016 12:04 am

Great! Good to know Sibelius may be keen to protect their own format/license, but not too worried about anything else :lol:
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11