Hiding cautionary time signatures after final barlines

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
adriano

Post by adriano » Wed Apr 06, 2016 8:48 pm

In Sibelius 7.5, there is no way that this works - neither with the deleting of "allow cautionary " time signature option nor after uploading the "TidyAppendedScore" plugin.
In the case of a separate instrumental part, for example, I solve this problem as follows:
1) Hide beginning time signature of the following piece (after the old piece's final barline) - after a page change, of course.
2) Rewrite the new time signature using technique text with following fonts: Time Signature (one staff) - Music Text - Opus std - Regular - Size: (for example 21.2. with a staff size of 7 mm).
Signatures like 3/4 etc. can be written by cklicking "enter" after the first figure. The "C" time signature is just a capital C.
3) After this, use the Inspector, for adjusting the old final staff line to the end of the staff, where the hidden cautionary time signature was.
I write this in here because there was no way to find a confirmation of this solution in all forums consulted, they only advised to use of the options which did not work in my case.
Can't understand why Sibelius never solved this problem with easier options - or at least I hope it did in the meantime with Sibelius 8 (?)...
Greeting from Zurich/Switzerland

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Thu Apr 07, 2016 8:17 am

Not sure from your post if you have done, but have you run the Cautionary Time Signatures Plugin (in 'Other' category) on the whole score, unticking Use cautionary... box before pressing OK.

I use this all the time on all sorts of scores and haven't come across a case where it didn't work. May have just been lucky I suppose.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

adamwhitemusic
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Windows

Post by adamwhitemusic » Fri Apr 08, 2016 5:07 pm

I fought with this for a VERY long time before I finally figured it out. Now I do it all the time and it always works for both hidden key and time signatures.
TIME SIGNATURES
1. Click the barline that will be your final barline. Before making your barline style change, use your Split System, Page Break, System break, etc that you want. For most of my projects I use both Split System and Page break because it looks correct in both page view and panorama view, and it auto-System breaks on parts.
2. Go to Time signatures, click on "More Options", select your time signature, and you uncheck "Allow Cautionary".
3. When you click where your time signature is going to go, you have to click in the NEW MOVEMENT. The new movement gets a time signature, and the old one doesn't have the cautionary attached to the end of the final barline.
4. Now click your final barline and switch it to the style of barline you want.

KEY SIGNATURES
Same as time signatures, but opposite placement.
1. Split your system, page break, etc.
1. Go to key signature and click "More Options". Pick your key and make sure that the "Hide" box is checked.
3. This is the most important part that everyone always messes up: When you click where your key signature is going to go, you can't click the first measure of the new movement, you HAVE to put the hidden key signature on the final barline of the previous movement. The new movement gets a fresh, non-hidden key signature, and the old one sees a hidden one attached to the end of the final barline.
4. Now click your final barline and switch it to the style of barline you want.
Hope this helps!

adriano

Post by adriano » Sun May 15, 2016 7:31 am

Thanks adamwhitemusic :-)
Some "oddities" of Sibelius remain unattractive to developers since years, like the one of this thread... Why cannot they program an optional select-and-click device solving this problem? Just enabling - on that particular position - to cancel a final movement's clef without having the following movement's clef disappearing? There were more complicated things which coulod be solved in Sibelius...
As already mentioned, the "cautionary time signature" plug-in seems not to work with my (Windows 8.1) Sibelius 7.5 - I have not tried on my other computer (iMac) yet, because I have more urgent things to do :-) And since some time I have also discovered that with this "old" Sibelius version of mine, repeats are not playing properly anymore, mostly they repeat ad absurdum, unless I create "primo" and "secondo" alternatives... Creating a new score, this is no problem, but using scores done with older Sibelius versions, there are stranger thing happening...
Another suggestion I am doing since years is the availability of a device enabling individual size of clefs within an instrumental part's clef change - one always gets those tiny clefs which musicians don't like. Or, that crossed-bars stems do no disappear in a whole score after one has done I am hesitating an upgrade to Sibelius 8, since I fear I will not have these thing improved. For me it is more important to have important things working instead of getting a lot of new special features without one can perfectly live with.