So where is the soundset for GPO5?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Starrmark
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Windows

Post by Starrmark » Fri Aug 19, 2016 7:26 am

Back in early June, I upgraded my Garritan Personal Orchestra GPO4 to the new GPO5, to run with Sibelius 8. However, upon installing GPO5, I discovered the upgrade did not include a soundset to run GPO5 under Sibelius 8, and thus the new software was useless. Nor was a soundset for GPO5 available on the AVID website. So I wrote to Garritan tech support. Here is part of their reply, dated June 7:

"Concerning the release of a GPO 5 sound set, as mentioned previously, this is being worked on by a representative from Avid, but there has not been a reported time frame for its completion. I can absolutely see how this ambiguity can be frustrating, but I want to give you all the information that I have."

Nearly three months have passed since that reply, and I have seen no word on this promised soundset either from AVID or GARRITAN. Garritan Tech Supports stated that Avid is working on it. So, Avid, when will it be finished and available to users of Sibelius 8?

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:51 pm

My guess is that no one is under any obligation to produce sound sets.

This site http://www.soundsetproject.com/company/ makes them, but it doesn't look like they have anything for Sib 8. You might contact them to find out what the latest is.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:17 pm

This has been discussed over on the official Sibelius forum.

Bottom line is this.

1) Make Music aren't bothered about writing a soundset for GPO5 to work with a competitor's product, ie Sibelius. They'd rather you switch to Finale.
2) Avid aren't bothered about writing a soundset for a competitor's product, ie GPO5. Or maybe they just don't have the time to do it. Heck, they don't seem able to bring out meaningful updates to Sibelius itself or fixing the many known bugs.)
3) Third party soundset creators need to be sure that:
a) there would be enough potential sales of the soundset at a reasonable price to justify all the hours of work they'd have to put in
b) that they'd be able to make those sales before pirate copies started appearing (probably not long)

The same thing happened with Garritan World Instruments. Originally, Sibelius (and it was Daniel Spreadbury himself back then) said that a soundset would be 'appearing shortly' when I reviewed the Garritan product. As the copy date neared, I pressed him on this and he said it was coming. It never appeared.

I doubt if there will ever be one, sorry. I may well update from GPO4 to GPO5 at some point, but that will be for working with Cubase. IF a Sibelius soundset comes along, I'll be happy to pay a reasonable amount for it and regard it as a bonus.