Adding new fonts- still unanswered

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
appreciatethehelp
Sibelius Version: 6.1.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by appreciatethehelp » Sun Aug 21, 2016 5:40 pm

Hey guys, I posted a reply to an old thread titled "Adding new fonts" a few posts down.

That reply was actually a question that has yet to be answered.

Would someone please take the time to read the brief thread and answer my query?

I would just post my query as an attachment but I feel the question might be easier to understand in the context of that thread.

Cheers.

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:52 am

A little research shows that font was developed for Finale. Maybe Sibelius can't handle something about it.
You seem to be spending a lot of time trying to alter the software to suit your needs. I don't know how flexible 6.1 is.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

appreciatethehelp
Sibelius Version: 6.1.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by appreciatethehelp » Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:43 pm

True, I do spend a lot of time trying to alter the software. This is because I use Sibelius a lot as I am doing a lot of transcribing/ composing for a website I am planning to open in the next year or so. All the time I spend playing around with settings adds up when doing so many scores, I just want to create a few "ideal" house styles and stick to using them- I have nearly ironed out all the irritating "kinks"!

You are probably right- maybe Sibelius 6 isn't too flexible. I am just very hesitant to begin using a newer version or another type of composing software as I have poured so much time into Sibelius 6 and am just starting to get the hang of it.

Have you had much experience with newer versions of Sibelius? Do you think it's worth getting to know the new software?

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Aug 27, 2016 9:36 pm

Here are some thoughts.

Any software works best with the stuff that came with it. Sure, the original manufacturer and 3rd party folks make addons that work fine. But what I run into is someone will send me a sib. file with a special font that I don't have. The file either crashes of loads with default fonts. Notation software comes stock with fonts that it knows how to use and that musicians are used to seeing. That's because publishers will only work with copy that is up to their specifications. There are industry standards. That's why notation software is the way it is. There are professional music "type setters" that prepare scores for publishers, that use Sibelius (as well as Finale and others ). There are complaints that the software is too rigid. That it can't properly or easily deal with contemporary notation for modern music. It can't reproduce special symbols or un-metered music easily if at all. But it isn't meant to be able to do a wide variety of styles.

Your case is different, as you will be doing your own thing. So I see the appeal of customizing certain things.

As for newer software, I don't have 8. Only 7.5. But I don't think the goal is any different.

I've never added a font to Sibelius, though I know people do it. Try adding some other fonts and see if you can learn something from that.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

odod
Sibelius Version: 5

Post by odod » Sat Jan 07, 2017 3:36 pm

appreciatethehelp wrote:Hey guys, I posted a reply to an old thread titled "Adding new fonts" a few posts down.

That reply was actually a question that has yet to be answered.

Would someone please take the time to read the brief thread and answer my query?

I would just post my query as an attachment but I feel the question might be easier to understand in the context of that thread.

Cheers.
is it music fonts ?

here are the steps :
1. Install the font first (WIN just double click, MAC install with font book)
2. Open sibelius -> File -> Preferences -> Music Fonts -> choose from the box your newly installed music fonts -> add Fonts and on the right box you have to change Common Symbol and Note Flags (don't forget to click set subtitution button) with the same fonts that you just choose (you can experiments with these options later)
3. clik OK
go back to menu
and from the text menu bar you can change the fonts with your recently added music fonts

here's a few examples of some fonts that i did :
Peters Font_0001.png
Peters Font_0001.png (142.7 KiB) Viewed 4134 times
Henle Font_0001.png
Henle Font_0001.png (142.71 KiB) Viewed 4134 times