Sibelius expression text displaying differently on new mac

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
jesushcorbett
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Mac

Post by jesushcorbett » Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:09 am

Hi all,

I had a .sib that is displaying some expression text differently on my newer laptop (old computer was windows, new is mac).

Now, when I open the score some expression text shows like this:

Rather than curly 'mf' and normal 'dim.' marking.

Any help greatly appreciated

Cheers

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Sep 24, 2016 1:53 pm

There is a difference in the way software works on the two different OSs. Perhaps this is is the way your mac deals with nonstandard expression text.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

jesushcorbett

Post by jesushcorbett » Sun Sep 25, 2016 5:14 am

Thanks for the response. What do you reckon is the best way to fix my score?

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:10 pm

I confess to never having seem a hairpin, p, dim marking before so I wasn't sure what you were trying to do. I don't know of any bulk method to change this. Like Find (text), change to (different text). Though there might be. So you'll have to go to each instance and delete it, or retype it. Use a different text style if this piece is going to be opened on different OSs. Maybe another hairpin. Or extend the one you have. I'd have to see the next few measures to say more.

It is not unusual for me to have two scores. One for musicians, and one marked in such a way as to get Sibelius to playback the way I want. There isn't much difference between the two, but getting hairpins to playback (on notes at the end of a phrase or end of a piece) is one of the reasons.
Bob Porter

jesushcorbett

Post by jesushcorbett » Sun Sep 25, 2016 1:50 pm

It should read as a 'mf dim' marking like this (this is from an old PDF export I have):

For some reason, opening the score on the mac is displaying this standard marking oddly (screenshot in above post). My score is massive so am hoping that this was a simple font fixing issue for example rather than have to alter every single instance of this (of which there are many).

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:31 pm

Turns out, there is a " find and replace text" plugin. Look up in the manual on how to use it. Though I'm not sure how you'll make that note show up, but it's worth a shot. How do you like changing to a Mac?
Bob Porter

jesushcorbett

Post by jesushcorbett » Mon Sep 26, 2016 12:16 pm

Hi again,

Unfortunately I think it's a font issue rather than a find and replace issue - basically the 'cresc' marking etc have kept the same font as the curly 'mf' text rather than going to Times New Roman as it used to. Unfortunately the find and replace plugin is able to find and replace text but unfortunately not find and alter font.

Am I to presume this is a manual (and therefore massive) job? I was hoping if I could find out how the same Sibelius version is reading the same score file differently depending on OS I may find a more suitable fix.

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Sep 26, 2016 7:55 pm

It sounds like at some point on your PC, you started using a different font for some kinds of text. A font the MAC doesn't have. It would be interesting to open that file on another PC to see what happens.
Bob Porter

jesushcorbett

Post by jesushcorbett » Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:02 am

Hi there,

I don't remember altering fonts. I am unable to try on the original laptop as it's no longer in my possession.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:37 pm

If you are interested, you can search me in the members list and email me a page or two of your score. If that doesn't work. PM me.

If the score is fine for me, I can add some things to see what it does on you machine.
Bob Porter

jesushcorbett

Post by jesushcorbett » Sun Oct 16, 2016 1:58 pm

Many thanks. PMd.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:38 pm

So, here is what I think happened. You hit CTRL+E to enter a dynamic,then continued to type (for example ) cresc. Cresc is not enter-able as an expression. To enter cresc you hit L , scroll down to that word and select it.

Sibelius has no reference for cresc as an expression ( even though you could see it as you typed it), so on opening the score again, it couldn't display it.

So what to do now? Well, One way is this: Open your score, go to the Text tab, select one instance of ( let's say) "mp cresc.". You will notice that both the dynamic and the cresc will be selected. This was my first clue that something was done incorrectly. It will turn blue with a bunch of "handles" around it. Hit CMD+C ( to copy the text) then click on a blank place to clear the selection (if you don't clear it, only that instance of the text will be corrected. Select the "Plug-in" icon, and select "Find and replace text". Select the "Find" box and hit CMD+V to copy the text. It will say "mp cresc.". Strange, I know. In the "Replace with" box, type "mp cresc." Hit OK. Most of the mp cresc entries will be changed. But maybe not all. Problem is that the dynamic will be the wrong font. If you try to chance it, you end up back where you started.

Another way would be to go through the above, only in the "Replace with" box type "mp" (in this case) and change the font from "Default" to "Opus Text Std". Then you'll need to enter each instance of cresc properly, or use hair pins. Maybe more than you are interested in.

Hope this gives you some ideas.
Bob Porter

jesushcorbett

Post by jesushcorbett » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:37 am

Hello,

Thank you so much for spending the time with this.

I'm not sure what you mean by by cresc. not being an 'enter-able' expression when it appears in the right-click menu when creating an Expression? It's true, I do remember enter 'curly' dynamic markings immediately preceded by a cresc. as this seemed to be the most efficient (though ironically obviously this has created more work) and tidy way of entering that particular expression.

Thanks for those suggestions though.

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:46 pm

Well I'll be. I don't enter expressions from the right click function. Never even knew it was there. I just hit CTRL+E and enter the dynamic. I don't use cresc, either. Just hairpins. There is also no cresc in the "L" (for Line) menu. So I'm really off. I'm not surprised.

New theory. I think you you tied the dynamic and cresc to the same note. Maybe if you had tied cresc to the next note, things would have worked out. I don't think you can mp and cresc at the same time. So there may be a font problem because of the way you entered things.
Bob Porter

jesushcorbett

Post by jesushcorbett » Thu Oct 20, 2016 1:54 am

Must be some gremlins! Thanks again for your time.