Adjacent note chords appearance - change order

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
grnvnk
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Mac

Post by grnvnk » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:17 am

I you enter a chord with adjacent notes (seconds), sibelius will automatically put the lowest at the left from the stem as is the convention in music notation. However, I'm looking for a way to change the appearance of such chords to displaying the lowest on the right.

For example, the chord d-e displays with the d on the left. I'm trying to have the e display in the left. I hoped it would be as simple as adding a c below the d and hiding it, but hiding a single note in a chord is apparently not possible (or is it?). Adding another voice and hiding it doesn't help either

Could there be another way to achieve this?

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:24 am

How about using different voices for the notes? You can then move them independently, using the inspector or possibly note spacing rule. There doesn't seem to be an engraving option for swapping note order in chords.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:55 pm

It's your music, you can format it as you see fit, but purely out of interest, why do you want to do something non-standard that might cause confusion to the player?

grnvnk
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Mac

Post by grnvnk » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:35 pm

I agree: why confuse? It was over dinner that a befriended composer described me the problem and I was eager to find out whether it was possible at all. In his case, a cluster, I think he would have best notated it with a pronged stem (which also isn't very straight-forward to achieve but discussed elsewhere).