Repeats with alterations in the same bar.

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
wesman2232
Sibelius Version: 8.3.0
Operating System: Windows

Post by wesman2232 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 11:02 pm

I'm trying to do a section of music that Repeats, but does an alteration in one of the bars.

For example the bass track is normal even through the repeat, but on one specific (or more) bar, I want it to play an alteration of that bar. So the first time it plays one thing, but the second time it plays another. It's not exactly 1x only or 2x only or even repeat/alternate endings because it's just the one bar that I need to have differently. Everything else is good. I have a score that does this, in this score, it shows the bar as normal, but beside the normal music (still inside the bar) in parentheses, it says 2x and then ends the bar to mean that first time is normal but second time through, play the alteration.

Is there a way to do this?

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Nov 12, 2016 2:28 am

The 'normal' way to do this (in standard music notation) is to use Ossia bar(s) that can go above or below the bar(s) in question. These are very easy to add in Sibelius from the Home > Instruments panel (in Sibelius 7 and above). You can then use the Inspector to play the ossia and 'normal' bar(s) on whichever repeat you want by ticking the Play on Pass box.

Or you could use a second voice, and again set the Play on Pass properties in the Inspector.

Your score (as you describe it) sounds a bit non-standard. If you wanted to re-create that you could probably fiddle the bar to add the alternative notes, but that wouldn't play back properly.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

wesman2232
Sibelius Version: 8.3.0

Post by wesman2232 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:14 pm

Thank you. I didn't even know what that was called. I'll keep that in mind.
I'm including a picture of my score to show what I meant.

Code: Select all

http://puu.sh/sgVxq/10919c103f.jpg