slurs across staves

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
RoyRWR
Sibelius Version: 8.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by RoyRWR » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:26 pm

Hello. Am using Sibelius 8.5
I have a phrase in quavers created in the treble clef to be played legato so marked with a slur. However when I try to assign one or more of the final notes in the group to the bass clef for ease of reading, the slur does not follow the notes to the bass clef but goes up into the higher reaches of the treble and I have to physically drag the end into the correct position. As this sequence continues throughout a fairly long piece, doing this in every bar is impractical. Am I missing something or can anyone offer a fix?

Many thanks.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:08 pm

Are you sure that they are slurs and not ties? You get slurs from the Lines menu rather than the keypad, and ties exhibit the behaviour you mention whilst slurs don't (not sure why that is).

If I'm guessing right you should be able to fix the existing ties by running the Plugin called Dangling ties to slurs in Notes and Rests in Plugins.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

stevenedis
Sibelius Version: 6.2

Post by stevenedis » Sun Jan 22, 2017 8:48 pm

Am happy to believe they are slurs not ties.

You are putting the final quaver onto the bass stave as a cross-staff note, right?

I don't think Sib really deals with this I'm afraid.

You say adjusting the slur in every bar is impractical. How many bars in your piece have this problem? 200? Each one will take you 3 seconds. It will take you 10 minutes to do them all. Just do it.

(But -- don't do it till you've fixed the format, because if you change the gap between treble and bass stave, you'll have to readjust.)

RoyRWR
Sibelius Version: 8.5

Post by RoyRWR » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:00 am

Thanks to you both. They are definitely slurs (what I used to refer to as "phrasing"). Stevenedis hits the chink in my armour - I was looking for a quick fix & not wanting to do it all manually. I guess we get a little lazy ..

Thanks again.
Roy