My file has gone haywire

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
John H White

Post by John H White » Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:38 pm

I was busily copying out a piece of orchestral music into Sibelius when one of my fingers must have slipped onto the right hand button of the mouse and I was left with a giant piece of empty stave complete with treble clef in a shade of purple filling up the whole of my computer screen. I have not been able to do anything to get rid of this. It apparently affects only the one file, but this represents 2 or 3 weeks work. The version of Sibelius I'm working in is 7.1. Can anyone please suggest a way of getting my original file back?
Cheers,
John.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:59 am

You could try to retrieve the last good version from your backup scores folder. This is listed in Files > Preferences > Saving and Exporting. Hopefully there'll be a clean version there, if you have Auto-save ticked, which is the default.

Otherwise, start a new empty score and try to copy and paste the music into a clean sheet.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

John H White

Post by John H White » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:33 pm

Many thanks, Kevin, I tried what you said and it worked! So I only lost about one hour's worth of work instead of having to start the whole thing from scratch again.
Cheers,
John

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:27 pm

No worries John, glad it worked. Would be interested if you find out what happened with the score that went wrong. Perhaps it got corrupted somehow.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Mon Jan 23, 2017 11:34 pm

This is another case that illustrates the benefits of saving your work every few minutes. Ctrl-S (or whatever it is on a Mac) is your best friend. If I have a file that goes bonkers on me for any reason (in any app) then I just exit without saving it. The most I'll have lost is a couple of minutes' worth of work.