GM drum mapping / new instrument edit issue

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
MrCliff
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by MrCliff » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:31 am

Hi,

I am having real problems getting Sibelius to show the correct note pitches on a drum part.

I want to play the standard GM keys on my keyboard and have the correct note heads appear in the correct place on the stave but this doesn't seem to work. I have tried both the "instrument" and "MIDI device drum map" settings but neither put the notes in the right place.

I tried creating a new instrument using the 'edit instruments' dialogue but any changes I make are forgotten as soon as I close the 'edit staff type' window. This happens on all 3 of my systems (PC 7.5.1 / Mac 7.5.1 and Mac 8.4.2).

I have scoured the web (and this forum) for answers and it looks like I am doing everything correctly.

Ideally, I would like to be able to play in a bar of drums and have the software notate the music correctly - in the right voice if possible. I would have thought this is something many Sib users need so I can't quite work out why it is proving so difficult!

All help greatly appreciated.

C

--
Windows 8.1 | 8GB | Acer R7 i5 1.6GHz
Sib 7.5.1 (Build 209)

Mac OS 10.11 | 16GB | Macbook Prp
Sib 8.4.2 (Build 2.3.1)

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Jan 28, 2017 3:28 pm

Do you have pitch problems only on drum parts? Are inputting note as per instructions on and around page 368 in the 7.5 manual?

As far as "Edit instruments" goes, make sure that after you edit or create an instrument, you also return that instrument to the family from which it came. Otherwise it will be lost. And it will only be of use for that score. To have it be available in your instrument list for later use, it must be saved as a "House style". That's according to the manual, though I've never done it.

I input notes via the mouse. Slow, I know, but sure.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop