Error, License Problems

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
vlnplyr
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Windows

Post by vlnplyr » Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:58 am

Sib8 Win10
I made the mistake of downloading the Avid Application Manager update, and Sib will not open.
The message says to renew the license. This has not worked, and I cannot use Sibelius.

Such troubles with Sib are not good. Fortunately, I do not currently have a deadline to complete notation. But what if I did?
Why does this happen with the Application Manager? Because of troubles with this 'app' I deleted the entire App Man in my Sib7. I was hoping it would work correctly with Sib8, but it obviously does not.
Why does Sib send out faulty programs? Obviously this is faulty because they have the 'remedy' already online.
I see that someone posted a similar problem with Mac back in Nov. But there have been no real answers for that person or for me.
What are we supposed to do when Sib will not open and we cannot find the remedy, and there is no help from the Sibelius people?
Where are the knowledgeable Sib people? Why do they not answer?
How are we supposed to use a program that won't open?????

I went to the page listed in the message:

Windows
Step one: quit open applications

Quit Sibelius
Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to launch the Windows task Manager
From the Windows task manager, select the Processes tab.
Find AvidApplicationManager.exe, select it and click the End Process button
Find AvidAppManHelper.exe, select it and click the End Process button

Step two: remove your old license

Navigate to C:\ProgramData\Avid\Licenses
Find the the Sibelius 8.0 folder and delete it
Empty the recycle bin

Step three: reactivate Sibelius

Launch Avid Application Manager
From the Licenses tab, find Sibelius and click the Activate button next to it
After a few seconds, Sibelius will activate, and you can now run Sibelius as normal

Step one is now complete.

Step two: I do not see a Sibelius 8.0 folder under either of the ProgramData\Avid\Licenses options. So I can't delete it.
Where is it? Why is it not visible? Is there a way around this idiocy?

When I 'launch avid application manager' and click License, there is a Deactivate button. I have not clicked this; should I? I don't want to lose the entire program.

Should I delete all Sib programs and re-download them?

Suggestions?
NP

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:41 pm

I don't have Sib 8. But here are some things to try.

First, "Step two: I do not see a Sibelius 8.0 folder under either of the ProgramData\Avid\Licenses options. So I can't delete it."
Do you really have more than one of these options?

I doubt that the folder is hidden, but just in case it is:
Open File Explorer. At the right end of the ribbon select Options. In the window that opens select the View tab. Check Show hidden files, folders, and drives. Click Apply.

How are you opening Sibelius? As an experiment, go to The Sibelius exe in Program files or Program files (x86). It is probably in the x86 folder.
Sometimes the decktop icon can become corrupt.

The path would be C:/Program files(x86)/Avid/Sibelius8/Sibelius exe.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

vlnplyr

Post by vlnplyr » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:50 am

Thank you for your reply.

I opened the Sibelius folder in Program Files, clicked the Application file (.exe does not show), and got the same error message.
Good try tho :-)

I made a capture of each of the 2 lists of folders. I have attached these with this post.
I do not see a Sibelius 8.0 folder to delete.

Which, if any, of these folders should I delete?

Thank you,
NP
Attachments
Program Files (x86) Capture.JPG
Program Files (x86) Capture.JPG (23.96 KiB) Viewed 12639 times
Program Files Capture.JPG
Program Files Capture.JPG (24.14 KiB) Viewed 12639 times

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:33 pm

No idea. Although it would be in the first licenses folder, not the second.

Something else to try would be a repair. Control panel/Programs and features/ right click Sibelius 8/repair
Bob Porter

vlnplyr

Post by vlnplyr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:52 pm

Thanks.
The first License folder only has the AppMan. Not the Sibelius 8.0 folder the directions say to delete.
Perhaps I am supposed to delete the entire Sibelius folder, but probably not.

I have tried the Repair several times on each installation, but nothing changes.
NP

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:25 am

Well, I think at this point I would uninstall Sibelius (not the sounds) and reinstall. The best way is to uninstall, then run a registry cleaner, then reinstall. make sure you have all your license information.
Bob Porter

vlnplyr

Post by vlnplyr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:12 am

Good idea. I did not run a registry cleaner after the first uninstall, which could add to the problem.
I just downloaded Auslogics registry cleaner.

I have my Serial Number, System ID, and Activation ID from Sib7. I assume these pertain and no more are necessary?

Sib Sounds appears to be in the folder Program Files (x86) Capture, so should I leave this entire folder?
Would I want the complete Avid folder - in the folder Program Files Capture - to disappear with uninstallation?

Thanks,
NP

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:47 pm

OK. Let's start over.
I don't think you can use sib 7 information to install sib 8. There is no Capture folder in sib 7. At least in my sib 7 on W10.
If you own sib 8, that's what you should be using. 8 licensing is a totally different animal. And I don't know that you can go back to 7 after upgrading to 8.

So, what version of sib is installed and not working? In control panel/programs and features, uninstall that version (sib 8, I'm guessing). Don't worry about any other folders yet. Reinstall 8. I'm guessing you have a download. You will need 8 license information.

If you have an evaluation version of 8, and it messed up 7, I think I would get rid of everything, run your registry cleaner, and start completely over.
Bob Porter

vlnplyr

Post by vlnplyr » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:52 pm

Thanks again. Perhaps there is a misunderstanding.

I have only Sib8 on this computer. This is the full version; I have never had trial versions. I had no trouble downloading it the first time. The AdMan update process caused the trouble of Sib not opening.

The 'Capture' JPGs I sent are meant to show the Avid files in my computer, to demonstrate there is no "Sibelius 8.0' folder to delete in order to reinstate my Sib license and thus open Sib8. I titled these 'Capture' because this title tells me what they are.These have nothing to do with Sib7. I was being specific about my capture jpgs titles to be clear on what I was discussing.

I do have the Sib7 discs and the ID numbers I mentioned that came with these. Perhaps I can simply download Sib8 automatically (without typing ID numbers) as I have done 3 times now. But you mentioned I need all the license info, so I asked about it.

Both times I uninstalled Sib8 before reinstallation, I did the simple 'uninstall' action. which did not change anything. Which makes me think that I need to delete all pertinent Sib8 files before another reinstall. I just don't want to delete Sib Sounds which took more than 9 hours to download.

NP

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5

Post by KJ_Palmer » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:28 pm

I'd press the Deactivate button if you still have that available, before attempting any kind of re-install. That sends the signal to Sibelius that your licence is available to re-register. I'd be wary of deleting folders, that may mess things up even more.

And get on to Sibelius technical support at Avid.com for help. You have a valid licence so it's in their interests to get you up and running. They've been helpful in the past with my own licence/registering woes, though I appreciate things may have taken a turn for the worse there in that respect.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11

vlnplyr

Post by vlnplyr » Thu Feb 23, 2017 2:15 am

Thanks again.

I deactivated Sib in the AppMan, then uninstalled Sib in the typical way that you mentioned.
Reinstalled Sib8.4 with the link Vee sent me.

Again, after installation I checked Open Sib to finish, and it came up working fine. I typed one note and tried to save, but a message said I had a trial version and to activate it. So I opened AppMan and activated Sib. Then closed Sib as a test, and it does not reopen. I get the same Reactivate License message. I thought I had just done that. I opened AppMan and it says Activated, so yes I had just done that. One of Sibelius' hands doesn't know what the other is doing.
Now AppMan will not open unless I reinstall it from the Downloads folder.

My support contract expired Sept 2016, so I can't phone them.
By email I have had contact with Sib persons, but no help yet. "It's pretty unusual that you get this error" Well, it's pretty usual lately. I let them know that I am not happy that it seems Avid wants to hold my Sib program hostage until I pay them for a support contract. The error message and need for assistance a caused by an Avid problem, not originating with me. I am expecting a phone call from Avid in CA, but they didn't call today.

Anyone having a great time with Dorico?
NP

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:20 pm

You should be able to get activation help for free, as KJ suggests.
Bob Porter