Changing from straight to swing midway through a piece

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
rileycooke
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by rileycooke » Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 am

The first 32 measures of the piece I'm writing have a straight-8th rhythmic feel. At that point I want to change the rhythmic feel to swing.

I know how to do it in theory, which is to insert a tempo text at measure 33 and type "Swing." I have done this many times and no matter how hard I try the piece refuses to swing at that point when I play it back. I have also tried the metric modulation text. That didn't work either.

Out of curiosity I tried it the other way around. I went to performance, set the rhythmic feel to swing, and at measure 33 I inserted a tempo text that said "Straight." And of course, the playback stopped swinging and became straight, at measure 33.

It's incredibly frustrating...the playback ignores a command to swing, but listens to a command for straight 8ths. Has anyone else had this problem? Can anyone think of something I'm missing?

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:41 pm

I would expect tempo text to not work, as you are not changing tempo. Try staff text or technique text, instead.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

rileycooke
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by rileycooke » Wed Mar 15, 2017 6:01 pm

From page 546 of the Sibelius reference manual:
"You can switch rhythmic feel on or off, or even change from one rhythmic feel to another, for different parts of your score by adding text indications such as “Swing” or “Straight” in Tempo text (which you can hide if necessary)"

So according to that I'm pretty sure it's supposed to work with Tempo text. I tried your suggestion just in case - it did not work either. Thanks for the attempt though.

Do you think there's a way to make it work using the playback dictionary?

musikai

Post by musikai » Fri Mar 17, 2017 5:19 pm

Here (Sib7.1.3)Straight and Swing, also Straight. and Swing. work with Tempo,Metric modulation or plain system Text on any score. Did you also try if it works on a new score?

You wrote that swing works when set per default and the word "Straight" then also works. When you then again add "Swing" does it then do it? Here this works. Have a look into the Playback Dictionary.
Windows7 Pro, Lubuntu 15.10, Sibelius 7.1.3, LibreO 4.4.7, Oo 4.1.3
Free Project: LibreOffice Songbook Architect (LOSA)
http://struckkai.blogspot.de/2015/04/libreofficesongbookarchitect.html
SVG-Tools:
http://struckkai.blogspot.com/2016/02/svg-tools.html