Can I change the volume level in parts of a stave?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
gravee
Sibelius Version: 8.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by gravee » Fri Apr 07, 2017 5:51 pm

Hi
Can I make certain parts of individual staves louder or quieter at set points to stop a loud trumpet passage or do I have to insert / change the FF to PP ?

Sibelius 8.5 on Windows 10

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Apr 07, 2017 6:43 pm

I've noticed a volume change when the trumpet goes from a lower note to a bit higher one. Sometimes the higher one is unnaturally louder. A slur between the two notes can smooth out the difference. But you wouldn't normally play it that way. You may need to have one score marked up to get Sibelius to playback the way you want (including dynamic markings). And another score that you would hand to players.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:48 am

So much depends on what sound library you are using. Sib sounds has always tended to make the second note of a leap louder than the first. The bigger the leap, the bigger the difference in volume. It was a (failed) attempt to imitate what happens when a real player encounters a leap, however, most brass players I know would have more control than that.

You might be able to control it with hidden dynamics to reduce the volume for that one note and then bring it back up for the next.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk