Dotted bar lines in Sibelius 8

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
ltlredwagon
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by ltlredwagon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:31 pm

Hi, I am just learning Sibelius 8, so very inexperienced. I would like to use dotted barlines to divide some long measures and make phrasing more readable and understandable. Dividing one measure into two is not logical in this particular piece. Can someone tell me how to do this? Thanks.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:10 am

What do you mean by 'long measures'?

What do you mean by 'more readable and understandable'? Do phrase marks not make this clear in this case?

And what isn't 'logical' about dividing bars?

If you can explain what you actually want to do and why, then I'm sure someone can help with the actual procedures involved.

ltlredwagon
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by ltlredwagon » Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:48 pm

Thanks Andy. I don't have scores in front of me, but I'm pretty sure Bartok used this in his string quartet No. 5, and I believe its used in polymetric music, which I believe does make it more readable and understandable. I'm new to the forum so I'm not sure how much detail I'm required to give in order to find out how to make dotted bar lines, but if this is enough I'd love to know how to do this in Sibelius 8.