transposing

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
yogaman
Sibelius Version: 6.2.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by yogaman » Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:16 am

Hello,
Thanks for the help.
I"m attaching a photo of an Alto Flute part at bar 15 in Sibelius. It plays at concert pitch. I would like it to play at the transposed pitch which means that the first note is a lower G not the C that is shown.
I have not been able to figure out how to do this.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
Alto Flute file.JPG
Alto Flute file.JPG (29.71 KiB) Viewed 3016 times

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Jun 18, 2017 10:30 am

It depends on how you've set up the score and how you've entered the notes for the Alto Flute part. Look up Transposing Scores in the Reference. I usually enter everything in sounding pitch and then let the Transposing Score 'button' do the rest.

Gaz
Sibelius Version: 8
Operating System: Mac

Post by Gaz » Sun Feb 06, 2022 2:33 pm

How do I set up a G Alto Flute in Sibelius 8? I can't find any options to do this and would like to hear how the transposed score actually sounds?

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:59 pm

I've recently been setting up scores for my alto flute, so this is fairly fresh to me. You need to set up an instrument defined as Alto flute and press Transposing score to display and play as on your printed score.

If you're starting from scratch, set up a treble staff, and use the Change instruments... button, Find > alto flute > ok > create. You may want to delete the 'unnamed instrument' if this got created, and change the time/key signature as needed. Press Transposing score on the Home screen to enter notes in the shown pitch.

If you already have an instrument set up (e.g. flute) you can select all the staves (triple click on any stave) and change to alto flute (Home > Change > Find: Alto Flute > Select this > (untick the two boxes at the bottom) > Ok). If you've already entered the notes in concert pitch you'll have to transpose them down a major 4th (C down to G). The press the Transposing score button and everything should look and sound right.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11