Need help Writing in key of C for Eb Instrument

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
BensonYew
Sibelius Version: 5.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by BensonYew » Sun Jun 25, 2017 6:24 pm

Hello, hoping someone here can give me some advice... I'm trying to arrange a Beethoven symphonic work, so naturally has instruments in many keys.. the only instrument I seem to be having a problem writing for (particularly as it regards playback) is the Horn in Eb. The piece has the Horn part written in C, of course with the fact in mind that it's an Eb horn, so when the note reads 'C' the horn will play its "C" which will be technically in pitch be an Eb... I've tried adding from instrument menu to score "Horn in Eb" as well as "Horn in Eb [no key]".. when I do the no key and write a C it doesn't sound Eb as it should, but C natural... when I do "Horn in Eb" it puts it in some other key (can't remember which exactly) but still sounds the written pitch..... there must be a way to write for the Horn in Eb on in a C key sig and have the play back transpose it to Eb so that its in tune with the other instruments I would presume? No?

Somone please help!! :!: 8)

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:59 pm

You may be over thinking this. You should also be having trouble with Bb clarinet and Bb trumpet. Though you might be using C trumpet. By default, Sibelius loads instruments at concert pitch. You add the key of the piece. All instruments playback in the selected key as if they were all C instruments. As you write just beware that the horn part will be transposed for the player at higher notes (though not actual pitch) than what you see in your score. Not difficult. When you are done, toggle Transposing Score and everything will appear as it should for the horn, trumpet and clarinet. So, yes, the horn part will bee in a different key than the violin part. If you prefer, toggle Transposing Score first and you can write the notes the player will see. Too much thinking for me. Either way, play back should be correct.
You'll probably want to have the horn be in F rather than Eb.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

BensonYew
Sibelius Version: 5.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by BensonYew » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:51 pm

bobp wrote:You may be over thinking this. You should also be having trouble with Bb clarinet and Bb trumpet. Though you might be using C trumpet. By default, Sibelius loads instruments at concert pitch. You add the key of the piece. All instruments playback in the selected key as if they were all C instruments. As you write just beware that the horn part will be transposed for the player at higher notes (though not actual pitch) than what you see in your score. Not difficult. When you are done, toggle Transposing Score and everything will appear as it should for the horn, trumpet and clarinet. So, yes, the horn part will bee in a different key than the violin part. If you prefer, toggle Transposing Score first and you can write the notes the player will see. Too much thinking for me. Either way, play back should be correct.
You'll probably want to have the horn be in F rather than Eb.
Hey Bobp, thanks a lot for your reply, I do tend to overthink things.. I'll give that a go and see if that shapes me up

:thumbs up: