Where are autosave files located?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Pmcgraw
Sibelius Version: 8.4
Operating System: Mac

Post by Pmcgraw » Thu Jul 20, 2017 9:31 am

Hi, So I just lost a bit more than 4 hours of fiddly detailed work when Sibelius (8.4.1, Mac) crashed. When I recovered autosaves, several other versions popped up (as often happens) and then somehow in trying to close the extra (earlier ones) I ended up closing them all by accident (not sure quite how this happened--- I was tired, frustrated and panicked). Then subsequently I could not return to that backup. The last version in "backups" was more than 4 hours old and there were no files in the "Autosave" folder under Backups. I attempted to restore the autosave file by using Time Machine, but Time Machine showed no files at all in the Autosave folder going back several years. I tried showing all the hidden files--- still nothing. So two questions--- 1) Where _does_ Sibelius actually store its autosaves or 2) Any other ideas for how to recover them once Sibelius has automatically deleted them.

PS--- I tried opening a test score and leaving it open for a while, and I still see nothing in the autosave folder, even with hidden files visible.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2021.12/7.5/6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:20 pm

Autosave does not do what you think it does. It does not work like you think it should. It creates a copy of the open file(s) after the set time, but on closing sibelius it automatically deletes that file. If sib fails to close properly (i.e. crashes) then when Sib reopens, it automatically searches for that file and asks if you want to load it.

The best thing to do is develop a [ctrl/cmd]s reflex. Every time you do so, a numbered copy of the open file is saved in the backup files folder. Always save multiple copies of ytour files on different drives so you don't have to rely on Sibelius backup.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk