Remove all clefs from score (ANSWERED)

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
appreciatethehelp
Sibelius Version: 6.1.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by appreciatethehelp » Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:20 am

Hello all, I want to remove all clefs from the score.
I am after blank staves which my students can use to practice their hand-written notation.

Do I have to start the score without a clef or can I remove it from an existing score?

Thanks.
Last edited by appreciatethehelp on Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:20 am

One of the supplied Manuscript papers should be 'Blank'. Open it, add as many bars/systems as you need and print.

Or just Google 'blank music paper' and print out one of the hundreds available! Or get your students to do it and print it out themselves - saves your time! :)

appreciatethehelp

Post by appreciatethehelp » Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:40 pm

Thanks Andy
I had tried that earlier, but when I try to add a bar I get a message reading "Please create an instrument and try again".
The trouble is that if I create an instrument it automatically comes with a clef.

I have used a website to print blank stave paper before (I think it was blanksheetmusic.com or something like that) but I would far rather do it on Sibelius as I can customize the sheet a lot more.
Not only that but I like to watermark (or at least add my name as a footnote) to any material I give out, kind of like advertising in a way.
Plus, when my students switch tutors with someone else (which I actually recommend to them in order to introduce a variety of expertise and instruction to their musical development) adding my name to the sheet has the added benefit of providing them with the means to easily differentiate between lessons they have had with me versus other tutors.

I don't know why I can't just click on the clef and delete it just like a time signature. Just another one of Sibelius' "helpful" features; they seem to have integrated instruments and their clefs together so that they are inseparable :evil:

As for getting the students to do it themselves, most of them are really slack (and young) and probably wouldn't bother/forget and we'd end up sitting together in the lesson with nothing to write on :lol: :roll:

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:59 am

Oops, my bad! Using 'Blank' does get that result!

Try this.

Open 'Treble Staff' manuscript paper
Click on the Time Signature and delete it
Type Q, select 'Blank Clef' and click on the Treble Clef on the first staff to delete it. (Yes it would have been easier if you just click on it and hit Delete)
Filter for Rests and delete them all in one go
Filter for Barlines and delete them all in one go (unless you want the barlines, of course)
This doesn't remove the Final Barline, so click on it and remove it.

Now you can add the bits and pieces you want to this, then save it and print it out.

A bit faffy and there may be an easier way but this only took a minute or so to do and you've only got to do it once.

appreciatethehelp

Post by appreciatethehelp » Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:08 am

perfect, many thanks! That's one less Sibelius headache I have to deal with.