Sib 7.1.3 Frequent Freezes

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
chuckpuckett
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by chuckpuckett » Fri Aug 25, 2017 3:59 pm

I am on 7.1.3, build 77 (latest I think for 7). Recently, Siblelius has begun freezing up while I'm editing. This is really brand new behavior. I will occasioanlly get a message that audio engine has locked up (not exact wording), but most of the time, Sib just stops responding to key strokes or mouse clicks. These scores are not terribly complicated by any means, and I am on the same fairly high-powered laptop (eg, plenty of memory, CPU not being taxed by Sibelius, nor anything else when this happens).

I did switch to NoterPerformer sound module a couple months ago, but it gave no hint of trouble, which only began about a week or so ago.

Quite frustrating. I've taken to manually saving every few keystrokes, and I only seem to get about 15-20 minutes max before it freezes.

Anyone else seeing anything remotely similar?
Chuck Puckett
Against stupidity, the gods themselves strive in vain.
I don’t want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:26 pm

First step is to update the audio system driver, sounds like something's upset it, perhaps a Windows update. Don not believe Windows if it tells you the driver is up to date, seek out, download and install the latest one.

Saving frequently is never a bad thing, making it an auto-response can save a lot of grief!

chuckpuckett
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1

Post by chuckpuckett » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:58 pm

Will check drivers, but to repeat: H/W configuration has remained the same. Which would argue against a driver mismatch.

I forgot to mention that, after freeze, when I restart, I often get a dialog on startup (before Open dialog): "Audio Engne Error: Bad Settings". This requires a reboot.
Chuck Puckett
Against stupidity, the gods themselves strive in vain.
I don’t want to steal the show. I only want to borrow it for a while.

bjotos25
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3

Post by bjotos25 » Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:52 pm

Hey!
I wonder if there's any solution to this yet?

I am running win10 and have a maxed out computer, using a focusrite itrack solo as my soundcard. And well, the "Audio engine Error: Bad settings" has been bugging me for some months now, but today this freeze up has also started. It is pretty annoying, as a composition that normally take me two hours to write down, will now take me five hours and 50-60 restarts of Sibelius 7.1.3
Hope there is some solution to it. Drivers seem fine.

bobp

Post by bobp » Tue Oct 15, 2019 3:08 am

Well, let's think about this. "Audio Engine Error; Bad Settings" probably means just that....bad settings. If you're going to trouble shoot, you need to go back to basics. First, make sure you have the latest drivers for your itrack. When that doesn't work disconnect the itrack and use the onboard audio. In Sibelius, open the Audio Engine options and select the DS or MME driver. DS is better but each system is different. Then see if Sibelius behaves. Sibelius has no use for a fancy sound card. but it does need at least 8 gb of ram.
If Sibelius runs fine with onboard audio set to a driver that works (there may be three or four, try them all until one works), I suspect some kind of configuration problem with the itrack.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop