New thread based on "Margins problems when printed [solved]"

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
appreciatethehelp
Sibelius Version: 6.1.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by appreciatethehelp » Sun Aug 27, 2017 2:39 am

Please check out the thread "Margins problems when printed [solved] .

The issue I am having is identical to the one described in the aforementioned thread.
I am simply posting a new thread due to the other relevant one being marked as "[solved]".

The difference between my situation and the one of the user who posted the original thread is that, whilst he had his paper settings set to "U.S letter size", I checked my printer settings through File > Page Setup and found that the paper size is indeed set to A4, however I am still having problems.

I have also looked through my printer settings (outside of Sibelius) and everything looks to be in order...

What now?
Last edited by appreciatethehelp on Tue Sep 19, 2017 4:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

stevenedis
Sibelius Version: 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by stevenedis » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:20 pm

As a first step, decide whether it is the Page Margins themselves that are not appearing where you want, or the music.

Sibelius has a 'two-stage' margins process, there's the page margins, and the staff margins, which are the default distance of the staves from the page margins. Both are settable in the Document Setup window.

The page margins never get printed, but if you want to look at your score on the computer with the page margins showing, you can select View Page Margins from the View menu, and they will show up as dotted blue lines.

Steve

appreciatethehelp
Sibelius Version: 6.1.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by appreciatethehelp » Sun Sep 17, 2017 6:45 am

Thanks Steve, that is useful information.
It is indeed the music/staves, as I have already set the dotted blue lines that show/define the page margins in the past; they are right where I want them.

I have another question; why is the right-hand side adjustment box in the "staff margin" settings "greyed out" and therefore unusable? (Example image below):
Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 5.44.30 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 5.44.30 PM.jpg (173.28 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
Also, back to the original problem; I have set the staff margin settings to "0", meaning the staves/systems should be in line with the dotted blue lines showing the page margin settings (and as you will see in the next attached image they are).

However, in preview (mac's document/image viewer) the score still comes out the same and therefore prints the same- with a big gap between the edge of the page and the staves:
Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 5.58.59 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 5.58.59 PM.jpg (178.08 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
Why is there a discrepancy between the page margins in Sibelius and the page margins in preview (and therefore the printed score)?
I have even tried setting both page and staff margins to "0", however there is still the same sized gap between the edge of the page and the staves in preview…
It can't be that the margin settings are outside of print range as:
a) I should (probably) be notified with an error message stating such (such as the one utilized by Libreoffice (although I admit I am not certain that I would be provided with such a message)), and
b) I have printed material using preview that had less of a gap between the text/contents and the edge of the page i.e with "smaller" page margins before (image attached below), therefore this cannot be the problem:
Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 6.30.00 PM.jpg
Screen Shot 2017-09-17 at 6.30.00 PM.jpg (97.25 KiB) Viewed 3535 times
So, I am still at a loss as to finding a solution to this issue...

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Sep 18, 2017 2:31 pm

It's a long shot, but perhaps Sibelius is allowing for instrument names. Sib 7 has a separate instrument margin setting in Engraving Rules. Set it to No Instrument.
Though I'm not sure why you need such narrow margins.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop