Key signatures different in score and parts

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Machynlleth51
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Windows

Post by Machynlleth51 » Thu Aug 31, 2017 8:00 am

I've been using Sibelius since v2, but I've only just noticed this - I'm working on a very large score (3350 bars) with several key signature changes in it. As it's an opera, I used the vocal staves and the rehearsal piano staves, as a part, to input the material. Now I'm orchestrating the piece and am therefore working with the full score. Some of the key signature changes in the vocal score aren't reflected in the full score, which I didn't expect. It's no problem at all to rectify that, of course, but has this always been the way Sibelius deals with key signatures? I can see no reference to it in the f1 help. Just curious.

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 1:24 am

Just a thought. I don't think I would ever work on such a long piece as one file. Just too many things to go wrong. I don't know why key signatures are a problem for you, but if you break this up into smaller sections, you might have less problems and more control.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Machynlleth51

Post by Machynlleth51 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:27 am

Thanks, Bob. Ordinarily (as in song cycles, symphonies etc.) I would certainly divide a large work into smaller segments, but in this case there were all sorts of reasons for trying to keep it as one file. However, as I progress through the piece now, adding the orchestration, saving routines (manual and auto) are taking a significant amount of time at each event, so I'm going to have to divide the file for that reason.

I didn't mention that the key signature behaviour had occurred before, in smaller files, and I'm beginning to think that, if a key sig is added to a part it isn't reflected in the score, but that it doesn't happen the other way around. I shall experiment with this today to see if I'm right. Odd that I hadn't noticed this before after so many years....

bobp

Post by bobp » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:48 pm

What version of Sibelius are you using? There are some things that don't change in the score if you change them in the parts. Many have been fixed in later versions. I think I always work in the score, rather than parts. So I know things work properly.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Machynlleth51

Post by Machynlleth51 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:04 pm

I'm still (by choice) on v6. I reckon the only reason I spotted the key signature behaviour was because of the unusual nature of this particular job - creating a vocal score first, as a part from the full score, and therefore working from the part. Certainly not the standard way of working.

stevenedis
Sibelius Version: 6.2

Post by stevenedis » Sun Sep 03, 2017 7:41 pm

>>I'm beginning to think that, if a key sig is added to a part it isn't reflected in the score, but that it doesn't happen the other way around.

I believe this is indeed the case, and as far as I know has not always been the case. Possibly since v5 or v6.
Steve