Set where beams break consecutive 8th notes? [ANSWERED]

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
appreciatethehelp
Sibelius Version: 6.1.0
Operating System: Mac

Post by appreciatethehelp » Fri Sep 22, 2017 3:25 am

Hi guys, just wondering how I can set the beams of consecutive 8th notes (quavers) to break at every beat (making groups of 2) in simple time by default?
Please note that I would like Sibelius to do this automatically- I know how to manually change where the beams break.

I feel like beaming them together in groups of 4 is a little confusing for my students, as every other smaller subdivision/mixture of subdivisions breaks at every beat, therefore I feel that 8th notes should be no exception, even though it is "musically acceptable".
Last edited by appreciatethehelp on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Fri Sep 22, 2017 10:42 am

To have this done automatically you need to set the beam grouping when creating the time signature. If you click the Beam and Rest Groups button in the Create > Time signature dialogue you can choose how to group 8th notes/quavers (and other notes). For a 4/4 Time sig you'd want to group 8th/quavers as 2,2,2,2.

For your existing scores you can do this quickly by selecting the music and using Notes > Reset beam groups to get the same dialogue as above.

This is in the manual under the heading Beam Groups.
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11