Bar Numbers disappeared

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Cefnfaes
Sibelius Version: 7
Operating System: Mac

Post by Cefnfaes » Fri Oct 20, 2017 12:12 pm

I have a score in Sib.7 with roughly 200 bars, but the numbering goes only as far as bar 56. I have checked to see whether numbers have been hidden (they are not, as far as I can see) and checked to see that bar numbers are switched on, appearing at the beginning of each new stave. I have also read the manual and can find no reason for this.

Can anyone offer a solution, please?

Many thanks

Cefnfaes

appreciatethehelp
Sibelius Version: 6.1.0

Post by appreciatethehelp » Sat Oct 21, 2017 6:07 am

Do you have an "official" registered version of Sibelius?
I ask as some of the "cracked"/downloaded versions contain bugs...

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:07 pm

Most likely you have a broken repeat structure somewhere, or you've incorrectly used 1st and 2nd ending lines. No way to tell without seeing the actual score, which you probably can't attach here.

The official site is the best place to go for help.

Cefnfaes

Post by Cefnfaes » Sat Oct 21, 2017 10:30 pm

Thank you very much for these replies, which I have only just spotted. In answer to the first, yes I do have a registered version. Re. the second reply, I'm afraid I do not understand what is meant by "a broken repeat structure somewhere", or "1st and 2nd ending lines", so cannot act on your suggestions. I suspect there's probably a simpler way of doing this which I'll just have to puzzle out! Thank you any way for your kind help.
Best wishes
Cefnfaes

andyg

Post by andyg » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:00 pm

It sounds like you've used repeat marks incorrectly - 'broken repeat structure'. Look around the end of bar 56.

I'm sure you know what 1st and 2nd endings are? If you do, you'll have seen the 1st and 2nd ending lines over the bars near the repeat mark(s).

Just a thought. Was this score created from scratch by you or created from a MIDI file or XML file from another music notation app? If the latter, you may be dealing with someone else's error.

appreciatethehelp

Post by appreciatethehelp » Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:30 pm

Let me elaborate, through this attachment, on the "1st and second ending lines" mentioned by andyg on his behalf, so that you at least know what he is referring to:
1st & second ending example.jpg
1st & second ending example.jpg (109.95 KiB) Viewed 11021 times

Cefnfaes

Post by Cefnfaes » Mon Oct 23, 2017 10:37 pm

My apologies to the very generous correspondents above. I'm afraid my head has been buried in the score these past two days, with this problem put to one side. So much so, that I had not returned to my post here until now - well past my bedtime!! But yes I do of course know now what was meant by 1st and 2nd repeat lines- I was just too dull to see what you meant, out of context. And yes I have used these, and repeat bar lines,in the immediate vicinity where bar numbers stop. So tomorrow, I'll have a proper look at this, and report back.

I'm actually amazed that anyone should have been good enough to give this so much attention, and I'm extremely grateful.

Cefnfaes

Cefnfaes

Post by Cefnfaes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:35 am

Success!
I deleted the 1st time ending thingy, and all my bar numbers magically returned to the score. I don't actually need this deleted object, which I suspect is the reason it has caused this problem. Clearly I upset Sibelius in some way!
Once again, very many thanks for your help.
Best wishes
Cefnfaes

appreciatethehelp

Post by appreciatethehelp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:19 pm

Cefnfaes wrote:Success!
I deleted the 1st time ending thingy, and all my bar numbers magically returned to the score. I don't actually need this deleted object, which I suspect is the reason it has caused this problem. Clearly I upset Sibelius in some way!
Once again, very many thanks for your help.
Best wishes
Cefnfaes
Excellent! Glad to hear you've had success! :)

andyg

Post by andyg » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:42 pm

There is a very definite way that Sibelius (and music theory, for that matter) likes to have things like repeat marks and alternative endings used.

Open first ending lines, closed second ending lines where they should be open, repeat marks with nowhere to repeat to, that sort of thing, are all no-nos. There are even more pitfalls when you start using DS al Coda markings etc!

Good to hear that you have it sorted. Don't shy away from using the markings etc, but have a good read through the Reference Manual on how Sibelius expects you to use them! :)

appreciatethehelp

Post by appreciatethehelp » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:02 pm

andyg wrote:There is a very definite way that Sibelius (and music theory, for that matter) likes to have things like repeat marks and alternative endings used.

Open first ending lines, closed second ending lines where they should be open, repeat marks with nowhere to repeat to, that sort of thing, are all no-nos. There are even more pitfalls when you start using DS al Coda markings etc!

Good to hear that you have it sorted. Don't shy away from using the markings etc, but have a good read through the Reference Manual on how Sibelius expects you to use them! :)
Might I also add that if you run into any other issues regarding repeat playback, make sure you check the "play on pass" settings under the playback section of the properties window.

Cefnfaes

Post by Cefnfaes » Tue Oct 24, 2017 2:07 pm

Thank you andyg and app.thehelp for your sound advice. I really should use the manual more often! As for playback, I don't actually use that these days, as I invested in Logic and vsl many years ago (when the World was young), and usually make use of them whenever I need to hear some sort of performance before risking delivery to a choir or whatever. I often wonder what the great classical composers would have done, has they enjoyed access to Sibelius!
Cheers!
Cefnfaes

appreciatethehelp

Post by appreciatethehelp » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:41 am

I imagine they would have pulled their hair out, then gone back to handwritten scores hahaha.
Kidding (sort of).

This forum is great though, I have had my fair share of help with niggly problems.

Where I live there are very few (if any) Sibelius tutors, so this forum is very important to me.

It's reassuring to know that there are knowledgable people prepared to assist with virtually any Sibelius problem just a few keystrokes/mouse clicks away.
In a world where (it seems) everything revolves around money, it's also refreshing to get "something for nothing"!

As such I try to help out where I can, although I lack the experience and knowledge of users such as AndyG and BobP; shout out to them (and others) for generously helping me out on plenty of different occasions!

-Cheers, have a great week!