Colliding Notes

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Steven
Sibelius Version: 6
Operating System: Mac

Post by Steven » Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:28 pm

Voice 1: dotted half note on F. Voice 2: eighth note on F. Rather than the eighth note being positioned next to the dotted half so that both notes are showing, Sibelius is positioning the eighth on top of the dotted half note so that it appears to be a single eighth note rather than a dotted have note and an eighth note on the same pitch. However, the note isn't aligned with the tenor and bass notes, but offset in the place where the alto eighth note should be. Unison notes of different note values isn't an unusual circumstance, but for some reason I have been unable to resolve the problem. Please advise. Thank you for considering this request for assistance.

Steven

Post by Steven » Sat Nov 04, 2017 10:17 pm

Further experimentation has led to the conclusion that adding the dot to the half note is the culprit. If I remove the dot the note moves to the right place with both soprano and alto notes showing. There must a work-around.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Nov 05, 2017 2:25 pm

Two things come to mind.

Remove the dot, add a quarter note and tie the half note to it. Not what you are after, but not hard to read.

It might be interesting to write each part on a separate staff, then use Arrange to combine them. Then see if the same thing happens.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Steven

Post by Steven » Wed Nov 15, 2017 3:22 pm

Thanks, Bob for your suggestions. The first solution solves the problem, but it will never satisfy the publisher for whom I preparing this. I have fiddled with it, trying this, that, and all the others I can think, but without success. I assume (although my assumptions are often wide of the mark) that this is a bug of some sort that was likely fixed in subsequent updates. Be that as it may, it doesn't really solve the problem in the short term. Perhaps it is just wishful thinking on my part, but I'm still hoping there is a workaround out there that someone has discovered. It isn't as if a dotted half-note was some obscure, rarely-if-ever used notation.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Feb 06, 2018 7:42 am

Does this help?
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk