Sibelius 7.1 to 7.5 on latest Windows and Mac OS bug fixer

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Imago
Sibelius Version: 7.5

Post by Imago » Sat Dec 16, 2017 1:26 pm

There are many users like me who want to stay with Sib 7, I have found on this forum and elsewhere bug fixers for specific incompatibilities when using Sib 7 on latest OS. I have also found many users who have not been able to get Sib 7 to work on latest OS. The object of this post is to encourage a tech wiz, someone like the tech wiz that sells the sound sets to use EW with Sibelius to create a patch or software or interface that solves all bugs and allows the simple install of Sib 7 on latest Windows and Mac OS.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:14 am

Imago,
I don't know about 7.1, but 7.5 works on my W10 just fine. I don't know about the latest Mac OS. 6.2 has not been supported on mac for some time now. Yet there folks using it on newer iOS boxes without hacks. Sibelius is pretty locked down, so a hack to get it to work might not be activate-able. Though it is possible to add functionality to it. Macs are pretty locked down too. I suspect the day that I can't get Sibelius 7.5 to work in Windows, is the day I might move to different software.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

Imago

Post by Imago » Sun Dec 17, 2017 11:06 am

I am scared that Sibelius and the programs I run on it like Vienna instruments, Garitan and EW will laden me with technical problems and or not work correctly if I upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows 10. The fact that AVID does not support Sib 7 and that in their "Compatibility chart" have it as not compatible with Windowe 10 does not help. However your words Bob are very encouraging.
The following is a quotation from the people at VIENNA INSTRUMENTS that I think explains the reasons for my fears. "We´re always careful when it comes to upgrading to a brand-new OS, and advice everybody to install a new OS on a separate partition, to check out if everything works as expected, with all the components that are necessary for your particular workflow.
We quick-checked Win 10 and didn´t find any showstoppers on our side, and we are currently checking the official release version of Windows 10.
If you consider upgrading your work system: ALWAYS make a full backup of your system before you take the leap to any new OS. The best idea is to use a separate partition or a new harddrive to install a new OS.
Of course there will be bugs and incompatibilities that need to be ironed out in the first few months, and any precautions you take are for the sake of your muscial projects and interruption-free work.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:34 pm

I can't comment on Mac issues, as I don't use them any more. The constant issues caused by OS updates breaking things being one prime cause.

As for Windows, one quick question. Do you have any pressing need to upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10? If not, then why risk having issues by doing so? I won't change from rock solid W7 installations on the PC and the laptop until I really have to, and even then it won't be out of choice! Heck, I still have a 7 year old Windows XP partition on this PC, solid and stable, running all sorts of older software that still does the job perfectly well. I always follow the advice that you quoted!

Over on the official Sibelius forum, you'll no doubt find more answers to your questions, and you'll find people running the software you have quite happily on Win 10. As I said, I'll only do that when I have to!

Imago

Post by Imago » Tue Dec 19, 2017 11:06 pm

No pressing needs as such, just the aprehensión that new software which is sometimes very good tends not to be compatible with old OS. However it looks like the path to take is to install W 10 on a partition and try out Music software on it while keeping everything working on Windows 7.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:06 am

I just left the XP install as it was and added a new SSD for Win7. Win7 is the default start-up, but pressing F8 while booting up gives me a menu to select the start up disk and so get into XP. Works a treat.

It's sometimes interesting to go back to the old software, like Cubase SX3, and find that it's simple to use and still does the job really well.

bobp

Post by bobp » Wed Dec 20, 2017 8:39 pm

This is just me talking to myself. You can listen if you want.
I don't use any sound sets but what came with Sibelius. So this is easy for me to say. W10 has been out for a while. It is interesting to me that companies seem resistant to making sure their software is compatible with a new OS. Instead, many think Microsoft should change something, or just tell their customers " Oh well." I always adopt a new OS as soon as possible. I've used every one since 3.1, and never had a problem with any of them. But that's just me. I have been able to make each one "rock solid". But that takes spending some time learning a bit about Windows. That's the only advantage I can find about a Mac, they tend to work. But when they don't.....
Windows takes a little TLC, but it's worth it. I have XP software that works just fine on W10. I know that is not the case for everyone.

Just a few thoughts.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop