Weird margin error (Solved)

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
kwatson703
Sibelius Version: 8.6
Operating System: Windows

Post by kwatson703 » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:05 pm

I have one page of an orchestral/choral score that goes beyond the right margin, right up to the edge of the page. All the other pages adhere to the margins in Document Setup. This error affects all the parts as well as the score. This is a large score, and there is only one system on this page. I've tried everything I know to fix it, but am out of ideas. What should I do?
Last edited by kwatson703 on Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sibelius Ultimate, NotePerformer 3, Windows 10, 32GB RAM

bobp

Post by bobp » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:17 am

If you're on Sibelius 7 or above, try the layout tab. Scroll over the "Margins" box (on the left) I think it may say how to change margins in the middle of a score.
Also you might copy the bad page into a blank score (not a blank page) and see what happens.
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

kwatson703

Post by kwatson703 » Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:16 pm

Well, it's not about setting the margins. I made the margins visible, and can see that they are the same on this page as all the rest. The problem is that the system on this page extends beyond the right margin, all the way to the edge of the page.

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:00 pm

OK then. There is something corrupt on that page, which is why I suggested a test copy to another page to get rid of the corruption. Open a fresh copy of the score and rename it ( to keep the original in tact).
On the page in question select the measures that go over the margin, then copy them, then delete them. Either the music will adhere to the margins by stretching to fit, borrow from the next page to fit, or neither. If the margins are correct, select the measure before the ones you deleted and add the number of measures equal to the amount you deleted. If you deleted one measure, add one measure, and so on. You should now have blank measures equal to the number you deleted, all within the margins, though perhaps on different pages. If this is so, select the first empty measure at the top of the score and paste the deleted music back in. Copy and Paste works in Sibelius the same way it works in a Word document. I've had a number of errors fixed using copy and paste. It can work because not everything gets copied.

Also, when did you notice this? I would think that it happened at some point after you work on that page. It's harder to fix now.
Bob Porter

kwatson703

Post by kwatson703 » Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:08 pm

I finally fixed it, but I had a couple of failures first. I tried just copying (and deleting) the measures that went across the margin, but the bad page just expanded into that space, across the margin. :(. So I tried copying into a new blank score. Pain, because I have multiple changing time signatures, and I had to recreate those one by one. Even using the plug-in to copy a segment as a score didn't bring over the time signatures.

The fix was to create new blank measures equal to the entire bad page, add all the different time signatures, and then copy/paste the music into that. Then I had to copy title, subtitle, instrument name (full score) (this is the beginning of a movement, so it's also a new section). Then when I ctrl-selected the bad measures and deleted them, everything popped into place.

I still have no idea when this happened or how. Just glad it's fixed.

:) Ken

bobp

Post by bobp » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Good job. Thanks for sharing your fix. Lots of fun all around.
Bob Porter

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:44 am

Just a thought, had you been dragging barlines left/right? That's a big no-no in Sibelius unless you want to create a special case (like an incipit or for worksheets).

If you do this while in panorama view, you can end up with barlines off the edge of the page. The first thing to try is system select-> reset note spacing ([ctrl/cmd][shift]n followed by [ctrl/cmd][shift]p.)

One thing that it won't reset is the 'gap before bar' setting in the inspector. You need to change this manually in the inspector. It's easier to do this if you go into panorama view, select the offending bar/barline and then set the gap before bar to 0.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2023.6, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 3.3.2, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

kwatson703

Post by kwatson703 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 4:41 pm

Good to know. I did try resetting note spacing, but that didn't fix the problem. I may have dragged barlines in earlier versions, working on one of the movements before appending them into the final score.

Thanks,
Ken

madahorn
Sibelius Version: 2022.10

Post by madahorn » Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:32 pm

I went to the score and selected the problem measures and “R” repeated them. I then deleted the problematic measures. The duplicate measures came out without a formatting error on the problem part for me.