How to Specify a Trilled Note in Sibelius 6.x

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Eriias
Sibelius Version: 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by Eriias » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:40 pm

Hello,

I've seen notation where one can specify the auxiliary note to be trilled as a small cue note in parenthesis next to the primary note (especially useful when doing a trill wider than a major second). How can I implement this in Sibelius 6?

I know how to make notes cue size, but this will throw the bar out of wack. I suppose I could try using a different voice and have it displaced by about a sixteenth note? But I was hoping there was a cleaner way to do this. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Eriias

KJ_Palmer
Sibelius Version: 6.2, 7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by KJ_Palmer » Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:23 am

You can enter the note as a grace note which doesn't affect the timing in the bar. These are cue size notes by default.

The type of grace note (appoggiatura/acciaccatura) is selected from the keypad (second keypad layout) and you can set its duration and position it like a normal note, and add a slur if you want (S or Shift S). If you want it in brackets press the brackets button, also on the second keypad layout, or use F8.

Don't forget to turn off grace note entry afterwards to go back into normal note input (Esc).

To make the main note actually trill you'll need to add a trill symbol from the Lines menu (L).
Sibelius 6.2, 7.5.1, Windows 11