Two Seb. Questions

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
SebBud123
Sibelius Version: 2019
Operating System: Mac

Post by SebBud123 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 5:09 pm

I have an older version of Seb, and the About Sebilious screen shows no version #. Only a bunch of developer names, At the bottom, is version 2019.9. Build 1837. Which # version is this ?

Other: My Seb has developed a glitch….in text mode, if I press the lower right arrow to get to all the text offers, Program crashes. Have done several restarts, app, and comp. No change. Any Ideas , other that app upgrade. ?. Old comp won’t take newer version because of old so.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Sep 27, 2023 7:24 pm

If you have an older version of Sibelius, it won't run on a later Mac O/S. The symptoms you describe are typical of this. And Apple also pushed an update for older O/S versions that permanently breaks the way Sibelius works with audio! If you google something like "Sibelius Mac compatibility" you should find a link to a chart showing what works with what, but it isn't 100% reliable, even though it's 'official'.

And later versions of Sibelius might not run on an old Mac OS! Same chart will give details.

Unless you want to update the computer, Mac O/S and Sibelius version, the simplest and cheapest solution is to get a refurbished laptop running Windows 10 or 11.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Sep 28, 2023 9:29 am

Andy has given you the best advice. Windows will run older versions of Sibelius as far back as 6.2 with no issue. That is the cheapest solution.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

SebBud123
Sibelius Version: 2019
Operating System: Mac

Post by SebBud123 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 4:24 pm

Thx both for answers. I’m still confused about Seb versions .
My older MBpro comp , OS 10.1, has been doing ok, it is Seb 2019.9 version ( no number , like 7 etc)
I have another MBpro, OS 10.3 , Works ok, has Seb 2020.9, but still has no version #.

Tho….. Here’s a simple question. I’m trying to add a bar to a 4 bar line, ie, 5 bars.
I go to Add bar, drop down , and see Add bar at end, And Add single bar.
Cannot add single bar. Use command/shift ? Or other combo?
My Seb book for version 7 shows a drop down with three options, “end”, “single”, and “add multiple or irregular bars “
Is there a way to add a bar to line with my older version?

Comp update and Seb version coming in future, $ allowing.
Thx for any answers .
Bud

andyg

Post by andyg » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:20 pm

Add bar at End does what it says it will - adds a bar to the end of the entire piece you're scoring.
You should be able to add that one bar using Add Single Bar, but if that's not working, then refer to the replies about non compatibility.

You're using a Sib (not Seb!!) 7 manual. Well, the versions you mention by number are basically updates to version 8. You do have the Reference Manual built into the programme anyway - F1 should bring it up.

andyg

Post by andyg » Sat Sep 30, 2023 5:23 pm

Add bar at End does what it says it will - adds a bar to the end of the entire piece you're scoring.
You should be able to add that one bar using Add Single Bar, but if that's not working, then refer to the replies about non compatibility.

And if you do succeed in adding a single bar, don't be surprised if it's added to the start of the next system as Sibelius will reflow the music as it sees fit. Too many bars on a system usually looks bad and causes problems with spacing!

You're using a Sib (not Seb!!) 7 manual. Well, the versions you mention by number are basically updates to version 8. You do have the later version of the Reference Manual built into the programme anyway - F1 should bring it up.