Moving a staff to the next page

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
clearvision

Post by clearvision » Mon Oct 02, 2023 3:46 pm

Hi,
I have tried to solve this 3 years ago and wasn't able to find an answer. The problem persists, and so I will try again to explain it and try to find help. Thank you for your understanding:

The problem is too many staves on one page and too few on the next. It looks terrible. Optimizing, unlocking format, resetting space above and below staff, all do not fix it, only make it look worse, and do not accomplish the look I need!

In addition, different instruments have different needs; a composition is more intricate and busy than another and what looks good in one score doesn't look good in another because there is more information in the latter. So to let a machine make the decisions on what looks good and say "Optimise and choose that automatic setting" and let Sibelius make choices for you isn't always practical. The solution should be simple and it shouldn't be so hard to accomplish, as the need is normal and frequently occurring. That is:
Allow me, the person who writes the music, to decide how many staves I want to have on a specific page. I know this might seem like a bold pretention, but is it just maybe possible that I would be allowed to make that choice? Sorry, :shock:
This is what I need, to tell this computer program to take the last staff of 10 from page one and place it on the next page where there are only 3. That would look good for this particular composition: 9 staves on page 1 and 4 on page 2. Not 8, or 7 staves on page one, because that would look bad, too spaced out.
I wasn't able to find the controls where I can tell this program how many staves I want on a particular page. I don't know why that would be so unimaginable. We're allowed to specify space between staves. What good is that if staves start running into each other? The solution is to simply move the last stave to the next page! That's what I need.

Is this possible with this program? Sibelius6.

Any help accomplishing that would be much appreciated.

Jarrell
Sibelius Version: 2023.2
Operating System: Mac

Post by Jarrell » Mon Oct 02, 2023 7:36 pm

Select the bars you want, in this case from bar 1 through the last bar that you want on page one, and then use the "make into page" command (Layout->Format->Make Into Page). Then do the same for subsequent pages if you need to.

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Oct 02, 2023 8:21 pm

And you can force a page break simply by selecting the barline at the end of the last system you want on a page, then holding Ctrl/Cmd and pressing the large Enter key. Do that as many times as required.

However, the fact that Sibelius is not tidying things up when you've unlocked the format etc suggests that there's something else going on that you have done when creating the score. Impossible to say what that might be without seeing a score.

Anyway, 'make into page' and Ctrl/Enter should do what you're asking.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Tue Oct 03, 2023 4:20 pm

Turn off the automatic formatting by turning off auto breaks in the layout menu-->autobreaks. You can do it separately for the parts by going to the parts icon on the toolbar (it's next to the ideas button) and choosing multiple part appearance.
parts settings.png
parts settings.png (51.98 KiB) Viewed 2882 times
You don't say whether you are working on a score or a part, or working on a part i the full score view. Both ways of working are valid, but there are different ways of doing things and different settings.

You don't say what your OS is. This is important information that we need in order to give you accurate guidance. Sib 6 will have a lot of problems on MacOS, for example later than 10.9.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk