Anchoring Staff Text to Barline

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
RVSLee
Sibelius Version: 2019.4
Operating System: Windows

Post by RVSLee » Wed Nov 15, 2023 4:59 pm

Today's dumb question...
(For an opera FS, with many different staff text styles, and plenty of layout details to be handled...)
There are places where the cleanest, most efficient anchoring for a text object is to a barline rather than to a specific beat. Sometimes dragging an object, or using the alignment Plug-In, will result in such an anchoring but most of the time it will be aligned, but the actual anchor will be a beat on one side or the other of the line. And in that situation, any manual adjustment to music spacing (which as you can guess is needed again and again and...) will add more steps shifting text back to where it should be. So...
What/why the difference that I can't discern?

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:26 pm

Make sure you can see the text object's attachment line. Also make certain you are working in the score, rather than a part. This should make locating the attachment point easier.
You could also change the horizontal placement value in the inspector to make the text line up better.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

RVSLee
Sibelius Version: 2019.4

Post by RVSLee » Wed Nov 15, 2023 9:57 pm

Hi Mike -
Thanks, but my question wasn't about any inability to put everything in consistent alignment. It was really a structural question in the interest of efficiency - as opposed to adjusting the x-offsets every time a music spacing change also moves the text from its best relationship to the barline.)
Is there a particular entry method which makes it possible for any staff text? I can't find a specific choice about any style element that allows such anchoring. (In fact, it seems almost random whether dragging a text object shows anchorage moving to a barline, or jumps over that point from one measure to another.)
Thanks again!

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Thu Nov 16, 2023 10:17 am

AFAIK, there is no fixed method of attaching a text to a barline automatically. In any case, I think it would be wiser to lock the page format once you have everything in the place you want it and do not use reset position after it is fixed.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk