Accidentals persist on the keypad after the note is entered?

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
philcovitz
Sibelius Version: 2023.8
Operating System: Windows

Post by philcovitz » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:12 am

Hi; I've been using Sibelius for years, and today for the first time I'm experiencing some unexpected behavior when inputting accidentals. (This is Sibelius 2023.8 on Windows.) For all my time using this software (going on 6 or 7 years, now, I think), when you select an accidental from the keypad and then enter your note, the accidental switches off for the next note. Now, completely unexpectedly, the accidental selection remains on after the note has been entered. I am not used to having to turn accidentals off after inputting one, and now my score is constantly riddled with unintentional accidentals. Certainly, there are many cases where you want to enter a whole series of notes with accidentals on all of them--but far, far more common is only needing to enter one accidental, for the note you are currently inputting, and then revert back to your regular key pitches.

Is this a new behavior for note input? Is it an option I can turn off? I've searched high and low and cannot find any reference to it. It's driving me absolutely bonkers! I'm used to switching on/off articulations (and having to remove a string of articulations that I forgot to turn off), but this is far more infuriating, because I'm getting wrong pitches, not just a misplaced staccatos.

Thank you,
--phil

philcovitz
Sibelius Version: 2023.8

Post by philcovitz » Wed Jan 24, 2024 4:30 am

OK, so I figured out this is only happening while I'm editing one part, not the full score. Confession: Up until now I've only input piano solo music, and now for the first time I am transcribing a piano concerto that has been scored for two pianos. I've never worked with parts before, but I just noticed that when I am working on the full score, the accidentals behave as I am used to, but when I am working solely on one part (the piano solo part, in this case), then the accidentals persist after the note has been set.

So I guess this means I need to work only on the full score view, and not on each separate part. I still don't understand why the behavior would be different in parts vs. in full score, but I am just thankful I figured it out. Still--any insight on what is going on with this feature (or nuisance), I'd be happy to hear. Thank you, and sorry for the "false alarm."

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Jan 24, 2024 9:22 am

I can't say I've heard if this happening. I've very recently transcribed apiece using the parts, to produce a new, clean score and not noticed this behaviour. I'm on 2023.11.1 in Windows 11. Im not sure if theres a setting fir this. I do believe that the behaviour of accidentals in the parts was changed a few versions ago so that changing the accidental doesn't affect the score. Maybe this is an "unintended consequence"?

I'll investigate.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk