Amending default fingering position for piano bass clef

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Abe
Sibelius Version: 7.5
Operating System: Mac

Post by Abe » Sun Mar 24, 2024 1:56 pm

Hi there,
I have been using Sibelius for years now. I have version 7.5, which I know is quite antiquated but it suits me well.
My question is about LH finger numbers when creating a piano score. The default position for finger numbers is always ABOVE the LH note, which is such a bad design feature, although it may have changed over the newer versions.
Is there a way if changing the global setting in Sibelius 7.5 so that bass clef finger numbers appear UNDER each note. I searched the various threads re this, but couldn't find a reply. I am using a MAC.
- any suggestion here would be much appreciated!
with thanks,
Abe

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:15 am

Set the default position for the fingering text style to be below the note. I'm not at my machine at the moment, but look on the appearance tab.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

Abe

Post by Abe » Mon Mar 25, 2024 12:30 pm

Thanks Mike,
I'm new to the Sibelius Forum, and not sure of the protocol ie. if I should have replied to you privately etc. In any case, thank you for your suggestion. When I checked the Appearance tab in Sibelius 7.5 there was nothing there that allowed me to change the default position of bass clef fingering to BELOW the note - unless I overlooked something. It seems like such a weird thing for Sibelius to set the default position for bass clef finger numbers to be ABOVE bass clef notes, as this is contrary to all fingering conventions. Would very much appreciate further advice from you, if you can help here..
- thanks
Abe

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5

Post by MikeLyons » Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:58 am

Hi, sorry, but I accidentally deleted your message!
There are two places you can adjust the size and position of the fingering text.
One is on the text menu under text styles, click the little arrow in the bottom right corner. There you can change many aspects of the text all items in that style will be affected. You can create a new style based on the normal fingering style (maybe call it fingering bass clef).
Once done, go to the appearance tab, default positions and change the vertical position of the new text style you have just created (if you did it right, it should appear in the text list).
You may have to select all and reset position and reset design after making these changes.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:31 pm

Also worth remembering that older versions like 7.5 are not compatible with later Mac O/S versions. You'll get some functionality but odd things can happen.

Abe

Post by Abe » Tue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm

Thanks so much Mike for taking the time and trouble to give me some more information. A bit late at night now, but will try all you say, tomorrow. Thanks again,
Abe