Cross stave spread chords

Discuss general Sibelius issues here. Get help with Sibelius and Sibelius Support.
Lili
Sibelius Version: Ultimate
Operating System: Mac

Post by Lili » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:47 am

I'm trying to make spread chords / arpeggiated (piano) chords spread as one squiggly line between staves rather than one for treble clef stave and another separate squiggle for bass clef stave. I've tried selecting and then using the Lines menu and I've tried using the fifth pop-up but neither will cross as a single line. I could simply stretch it but I'd rather not since I have a lot of them. Does anyone have an idea? Grateful for any help.

MikeLyons
Sibelius Version: Ult. 2024.3.1/7.5
Operating System: Windows

Post by MikeLyons » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:49 pm

This is one of a number of cross staff situations that sibelius handles badly. There is no workaround that I know of.
Sib 6.2, 7.5 and 2024.3.1, Windows 11, 32GB RAM, 16TB 7200RPM Storage, 2TB SSD, Note Performer 4, EWQLSO, EWQLSC, Harmony Assistant and some others. mike@mike-lyons.co.uk

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 pm

You may well have to do the stretching thing! You could just create one, then copy and paste if you need another. Trouble is, you may then have to shift it up or down and adjust the end points of the line.

Me? I'm resigned to just arpeggiating the bass clef and stretching the line up. Not sure whether or not that plays back as I seldom use playback, I can hear what I write in my head most of the time.

dircules

Post by dircules » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:33 pm

If I get you right, this is roughly what you want to see? Was not a big deal to create, I just produced the line, streched and moved it around a few times, until I came to the pictured result. A drawback is with playback: Here the line is attached to the treble chord, thus the bass staff part is played straight, the treble staff as arpeggio. Maybe it can be improved with an additional bass arpeggio and make that one invisible, but I'd rather expect two simultaneous arpeggi then. To rationalize your work I'd recommend the good old copy'n'paste.