Sending note velocity as CC#1

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
MichaelSel

Post by MichaelSel » Sun Oct 12, 2014 3:48 am

Hey,

I'm using sibelius with kontakt, and I have an instrument that does not react to velocity but rather to the modwheel (cc#1), therefore, it is unusable with sibelius as is.

Is there any way to tell sibelius to send the vst the note's velocity (and velocity changes for crescendi/diminuendi) in addition to the default message, also as CC1?

I hope my question is clear, I would be happy to provide further information if needed.

Thanks,

Michael

bobp

Post by bobp » Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:59 pm

I won't pretend to be a midi expert. Sibelius is supposed to work with most any midi instrument. Spend some time in the manual. I notice that there can be problems depending on if your instrument counts from 0 or 1. As in CC1 might be CC0. Also updated drivers help. Which version of Sibelius is this?
Bob Porter
Sibelius 7.5, W10,i5,16 GB ram,desktop

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Mon Oct 13, 2014 3:25 pm

The mismatch in MIDI numbers refers to patch numbers, but CC1 will always be CC1.

Sounds like you're using a Garritan instrument - the old GPO, perhaps. Time to update, then, as the current instruments work seamlessly with Sibelius.

But you can write in MIDI data on a note by note basis, laborious task though it is. Read through the relevant section of the Reference for instructions on this.