Creating a sound set for Technics SX-PX338B

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
Ki1ian

Post by Ki1ian » Mon Nov 01, 2004 5:36 pm

I'm having trouble assigning my non GM sounds from the keyboard to Sibelius 3. The MIDI Implementation chart that came with the keyboard is confusing... There are two sets of numbers for each instrument: PC "program change no." and CC00 "Value of control change 00 (bank select MSB)" In Play>Edit Sound Sets...>Sounds, What value do I put into the 'bank high' and 'bank low' fields? For the GM sounds, the CC00 number in the chart is 0 and the PC numbers are from 1-128 (and the GM sound set works fine). The non-GM sounds often share a PC number with a GM sound and the CC00 number changes (1-120).
e.g.
Grand Piano (GM Sound) PC=1 CC00=0
Concert Grand (non-GM Sound) PC=1 CC00=80

I've tried putting the CC00 number in the either the Bank High or Low fields but that had no effect. I've also tried embedding MIDI commands in the score sheet ~Px/y (where x=bank and y=program) without success.

Your help would be much appreciated,
Kilian

Lurker

Post by Lurker » Thu Nov 04, 2004 10:44 am

I've never got to grips with the way manufacturers specify patches. There is probably a simple explanation, but I don't know what it is.

In practical terms, you need to have either one number or three after ~P MIDI messages. So ~P48 = String Ensemble, and ~P0,0,48 is also String Ensemble (or some similar name).

In my experience, most often the Bank number becomes MSB - so ~P127,0,48 will be some variant of strings that is not GM. Rarely, you need to put ~P0,127,48 - you'll need to experiment. Try to choose some sounds that are definitely different from the GM ones so you tell if you're successful.

[It is just possible that the CC part of the specification is meant to be the MSB so, as CC hex is 204 you might need ~P204,n,m where m is the normal GM number and n is the code for the non-GM setting. But it doesn't seem likely.]

GM starts numbering from 0, in Sibelius, but some manufacturers start from 1 - e.g. Acoustic piano would be 1 instead of 0. In this case, use a small p for the MID message - ~p127,0,1 for instance.

AlanRussell
Sibelius Version: 7.5.1
Operating System: Windows

Post by AlanRussell » Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:40 pm

Would you like to tackle the Tyros 5? Let's look at the Concert Grand Piano.....
MSB, LSB PRG..
ConcertGrand 0 122 1 S.Art!

Plug them in to a manual sound set, it does not play that piano back.

Alan Russell

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:08 pm

You might like to ask this question over at the offical Sibelius chat pages rather than here. I'm not sure that any of the very few of us still answering questions here will know the answer. Manual soundsets are a minefield.

I can't put a link in a post so just google sibelius chat page and you'll get there. One of the experts may be able to help you sort it out, but you're in for a lot of very time-consuming typing!