transferring midi to sibelius problems

Discussion of playback and midi issues go here.
guitardude

Post by guitardude » Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:30 pm

Hello,

I am doing a transcription project for a cd of jazz guitar music and I'm trying to make it work by transferring the audio to midi through a program called widi, and then transferring that into sibelius and making sense of it there. There is a pretty constant tempo. So there's two guitars, one doing rhythm and bass and the other doing "lead." I'm really more concerned about the lead one, which I attempted the mentioned process and got some issues. If you guys know of any fixes to these issues or shortcuts, it would make my life a whole lot easier.

so when I transferred the lead guitar midi over, it changed it into 4 staves( see attachment)

I really just want them reduced on one stave. The other issue is the rhythm. The tempi that it has on there are incorrect, which results in the wrong rhythms. Is there a way to somehow select a section of music that's written in 120 bpm but is supposed to be in 141 bpm and change the tempo so that it creates new, more correct rhythmic values?

For instance, if my source music has a half note at 60 bpm but the way the midi input it was a quarter note at 30 bpm, how can i use sibelius to rectify that so it's the correct tempo and rhythm relationship?

Thanks for your help,

Jack
Attachments
sibelius screen shot.jpg
sibelius screen shot.jpg (167.96 KiB) Viewed 11507 times

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2
Operating System: Windows

Post by andyg » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:01 pm

Audio to MIDI programmes don't work well (if at all) - period!

You've just found that out.

You'd have to edit that MIDI file so that it makes musical sense to Sibelius, hard quantized, exact tempos etc.

guitardude

Post by guitardude » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:19 am

so there's no way to do that within sibelius?

andyg
Sibelius Version: 7.1.3 and 6.2

Post by andyg » Thu Dec 29, 2011 12:10 pm

There are parameters you can play with on the Midi file import screen, but basically, if the MIDI file data is poor, that's what Sibelius will reflect. Get it correct before importing - much less work.

Audio to MIDI is a bad idea and probably always will be.

Eclectic1

Post by Eclectic1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Explore Melodyne Editor :D

kanita

Post by kanita » Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:06 am

I previously used Sibelius 4 to change channel assignments for playing songs through my church organ (Rodgers Allegiant 678). After switching to 6, the channels are no longer changeable. I need to change the channels so that selected staves could play through various manuals. For example: channel 12 for Great (lower keyboard), 13 for Swell (upper keyboard), and 14 for Pedal.

abeha
Sibelius Version: 2011

Post by abeha » Sat Mar 28, 2015 5:49 am

so when I transferred the lead guitar midi over, it changed it into 4 staves( see attachment)
emma